Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

2019 Atlanta Braves

SouthGA_DawgSouthGA_Dawg Posts: 227 ✭✭✭ Junior

For all my braves fans in the forum, how do y’all feel about the upcoming season?

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I went to spring training for the first time last year and that was a great experience. Took my 14yo son and told him to watch Albies and Acuna. Sure enough those guys each took one deep in the two games we attended. It was awesome.

Braves have a lot of pieces in place, but it still takes a key FA signing or two to transform a playoff qualifier to a World Series contender. I'm talking about Greg Maddux and Fred McGriff type signings, not Josh Donaldson and Brian McCann.

Not sure Liberty Media will ever sanction that kind of spending. But pitchers and catchers report next week, and hope springs eternal. I'll be watching and rooting same as I have since moving to Atlanta in 1983.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t think they did enough to cement a playoff spot this year, but I didn’t think last years team would be a playoff team either. I’m cautiously optimistic, but the Braves aren’t gonna have an easy path.

Phillies and Mets are a lot better, Nats are still the Nats. Think we will be as good or better than last year, but assuming the Phillies land one of Harper/machado I think we are looking at a good chance at 3rd in the division.

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm behind enemy lines in this thread as I'm from DC and LOOVVEEE the Nats. However, I have a healthy respect for what the Braves have done and think they're well positioned for a playoff run. Last year was a strange one for the Nationals. We just never got it going for whatever reason.

Good luck to you all. It's gonna be a fun summer. I think the Nats are now better top to bottom but there's likely room for both of us in the post season.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t know enough about baseball to say, but last year gave me a reason to cheer. Hadn’t had that in a hot moment

• OroValleyDawgOroValleyDawg Posts: 245 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Donaldson is not 100% healthy and we make no other moves this off-season was a bust. If he is healthy and we add a starting pitcher or a closer or another bat ... good times ahead

• Dawg4Life912Dawg4Life912 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭ Junior

I still believe right now we are good enough to make the playoffs, but won't do much once we get there. Unless Newcomb reaches his potential and one our 5 top pitching prospects makes a Walker buhluer type impact for us this year. Either way I see us making some BIG moves at the trade deadline. I think AA wants more time to see our young guys grow and show what they really have. He's already traded away Noah Synegard and doesn't want to make a mistake like that again. By the time the trade deadline gets here, hopefully he'll have a better grasp on which prospects he considers are untouchable and ones who he is willing to trade. Bryce Wilson, Ian Anderson, Kyle Wright, Mike Soroka, Touki, Gohara, and Kolby Allard all have the potential to be very good MLB pitchers, some more potential than others. I don't want trade away a future CY young award winner, and neither does AA

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would love to see the Braves get Harper. But that wont happen because, well, its the Braves.

• ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Don’t expect another division championship. The Phillies are to busy doing what the braves won’t. Spending money, and getting players that aren’t washed up like braves are.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

**** the Cobb county braves

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with @Dawg4Life912 , at some point the Braves are going to have to decide which of their young pitchers they want to keep and trade some of the others to fill their needs. Would have loved to see them get J.T. Realmuto, instead of him going to the Phillies.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wanted realmuto too, but reports are they wanted Riley and a top pitching prospect and another decent prospect. That’s probably too much for 2 years of realmuto, who isn’t quite an elite player.

Looking at the team analytics, our position player group is projected to be pretty good, but our pitching not so great. If we don’t see another pitching prospect or two really establish themselves this year, it may be time to sound the alarm. But between soroka, toussaint, Wright and Wilson I’m pretty hopeful we can find someone to be a 3+WAR arm and another guy at least major league average.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see an imperative to trade any young starters just yet.

Unless management has a very good idea of which will likely become the best of the field, don't undersell.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't get why many are high on Realmuto.

He looks like a very good example of how WAR ratings are fallible.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with @Dawg4Life912 , at some point the Braves are going to have to decide which of their young pitchers they want to keep and trade some of the others to fill their needs. Would have loved to see them get J.T. Realmuto, instead of him going to the Phillies.

I think that is exactly what AA is doing. He's going to watch the current "near the top guys" and make a judgement about who to keep and who to include in trade packages. I think we'll see some movement by the trade deadline.

• DawgforeverDawgforever Posts: 291 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think we need a good bat Harper and 2 veteran starters. Young pitching is great but experience goes a long way come October and get our closer kimbrel back.

• LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would like to see another arm in the rotation, another bullpen piece, and more of Touki. Offensively I don't see us doing much more in ways of pieces before the season starts. A lot of our Ls were taken due to horrible bullpen pitching, something we haven't improved through moves...yet.

Probably going to see where we are as the deadline approaches and see if we can't deal a young arm for a big bat if we are in the race.

Let's go Bravos!