Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Guilty Pleasure TV

scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited March 2019 in Off Topic

So we've had the Favorite TV thread and there's obviously crossover but particularly in the offseason and summer I find myself watching more "basic" stuff OR stuff that doesn't require much attention. I'm sure I'm not the only one but I'll start:

Dateline/20/20/48Hrs: Almost never watch these live but there's usually a healthy offering on demand. Apparently the "true crime" demo is HUGE with housewives. Like Making A Murderer was big with a lot of people but there's like a whole subculture of suburban women who are into all the shows and podcasts and online forums. But I do enjoy a good two hour Dateline from time to time.

PBS/BritBroadCorp(don't get any ideas) stuff: I watch a lot of more dry/specific history docs but for just enjoyment I like a lot of the PBS?BBC stuff on PBS and Amazon. American Experience...Antiques Roadshow...English Docs..etc.

Top Chef/British Baking Show: I've long held that Top Chef is the only cooking comp show that means anything to the point of trying some past winners'/contestants' restaurants in Atlanta. I hate Bravo and I can't keep up with a weekly show but I'll catch up via on demand. I don't like baking shows and it's become very "basic" to like but BBS is a legit entertaining show with likeable people. Light watching with very light stakes..I'm actually not positive what the prize is.

Scripps Schlock: Here's where "crap" tv really lives up it its name: I'm a guy who likes food..eating and cooking. So I watch Food Network. Nothing inherently wrong with that. Chopped can be entertaining, as can some of the other stuff: you can ignore how formulaic and utterly same it all is the first 20 times you watch it. Then you realize that not only do they show the same shows in 8 hour blocks over and over but often the same episodes. Wait..I thought this was supposed to be about pleasure? Lol.

I'm single right now but anyone with a lady in their life probably knows Food Network's also Scripps-owned twin HGTV and the fact that apparently they share the same programming directors lol.

Law and Order used to be my goto guilty pleasure for literally decades but sadly it seems to have fallen by the wayside in syndication/online.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I still watch the challenge on MTV. It may be the last reality show I watch. trying to cut back bc the gf is decidedly NOT a fan of the genre.

When I'm home or someplace that pays for cable I find myself gravitating toward food network now that I feel like HGTV has jumped the shark a little. Too many of those shows are to similar now. And I think Fixer Upper got a little too popular

And I will watch any dating show. I watched all six episodes of Dating Around on Netflix in one sitting

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg I must have watched Law & Order every weekday for five years (in syndication, pre-streaming era). The amazing thing is, it seemed like I never saw a repeat episode, even though I watched a thousand of 'em.

• ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Survivor, Suits, Into The Badlands, and all the NCIS shows.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jeopardy deserves a mention in this category, especially in light of recent news.

• cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Criminal Minds

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Drop cable and **** up Netflix...The Punisher...Sex Education...Shooter....teen flicks for the kids like Riverdale and PLL...Netflix has everything to have a chill evening or weekend.

Edit...Sna,tch is censored. That word has not been used as slang for the female body part since the early 80s....lol

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Badlands was good first season or two. Need to catch up before the finally kicks off.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

I don't know about guilty, but I still enjoy Star Trek TNG, I like Two And A Half Men ( Charlie years), The Big Bang Theory, Most all of the millions of various Law And Order episodes, etc. I do watch more substantive fare as well.

edited March 2019

Catfish. Criminal Minds earns the guilty pleasure label more than most. It gives viewers a ****'s view of really twisted, sadistic criminal acts.

• NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Swamp people, Magnum PI, seal team, and vanderpump rules.

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Two and a Half Men should have just paid Charlie whatever he wanted and ignored all of his personal issues. He WAS the show....he lived just as he portrayed his part for the show. Jon Cryer was great but he could not carry the show like Charlie.

Plus Charlies had one of the greatest responses to a journalist's question I have ever heard when asked, "So Charlie why do you pay women to have se,x with you? You could have just about any woman in the world considering your fame and fortune." Charlie - "I don't pay women to have se,x with me. I pay them to leave." Drop mic....

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Gold Rush, First Strike, Shameless, 60 Days in, Blue Bloods, Live PD, Wicked Tuna, The Walking Dead.

edited March 2019

TMazz. I think Charlie borrowed the ''I pay them to leave'' line from a T&AHM episode. Still, it's a great line. Sheen was really deteriorating by the time he did Anger Management though, I'm not sure he could have pulled off the boyish charm much longer if he'd stayed on Two And A Half Men.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Justified

Longmire

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

just started watching true detective and I like that. I know it’s old. The remote also stops on women’s gymnastics and track and field, or any shows pertaining to barbecue or traditional southern cuisine

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Back in the day the man show and insomniac got my attention as well

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Vanderpump Rules. I feel much better about myself as a person after watching this show.

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Matthew McConaughey smokes more cigarettes in that show than Andrew Dice Clay.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Girls Jumping On Trampolines caught my attention a few times......back in the day....