Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Books

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DamnYankeeDawg said:
    I love reading WWII novels. When I take a break from those, I read finance books.

Currently reading Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. Read it back in the early '90s and decided to read it again. Interesting historical perspective from Shirer as he was not a historian. He was a reporter for CBS during the rise of the Reich in the '30s and left in late 1940. Long book but well worth the read.

Previous book I read was Mission: Jimmy Stewart and the Fight for Europe. Gave up a very good Hollywood career to fight the war. He did not have an easy tour in WWII nor did he want one. 20 B-24 missions over Germany. First film back after the war - It's a Wonderful Life. After reading his biography, I have a new respect for the performance he gave in that film.

Finance novel - Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins. Spend less than you earn. Invest the difference. Buy index funds. Can't get any easier than that.

I'm currently reading All The Light We Cannot See. I guess it would qualify as a WWII novel. Really interesting take from the citizens of both France and Germany. Hell of time... and it's really crazy to think that this wasn't that long ago at all.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Humble. To be honest I don't have patience with fictional novels anymore, and I loved them from 5th grade till I was in my 40s. Now I prefer a quick movie or tv when it comes to fiction, most of my reading is non-fiction these days. I'm not saying it's a better way, great fiction really opens the mind, it's just where I am.

finesse. our natures are beastly as well as civilizing. When we learned to farm and began to congregate long term in villages the ability to cooperate beyond pack hunting became a prime survival trait. I never was hung up on the need to feel superior to our animal cousins anyway.

tfk. This may seem like a contradiction after my comments on our natures, but I haven't hunted or even fired a gun since 1988.

I just decided I wanted to live my life from a different perspective. I put down the gun and camo in favor of a camera and hiking gear.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FirePlugDawg I thought Rise and Fall of the Third Reich was great.

I like history and anything by Robert Caro. He is most famous for his works on LBJ. He does not consider himself a historian but seeks to understand power. His first book won a P Prize on Robert Moses. Moses built NYC infrastructure, is America's architect, urban designer and had enormous power without ever being elected.

Youtube Robert Caro, hear him answer questions about his books to get a feel for them. And read the preface. The author himself is quite a story.

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've read 10 on this list...I am going to have to accept.the challenge and polish off the rest of it.

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

America's greatest political philosopher is Henry George and he's practically unknown nowadays. You can't buy his work "Progress and Poverty" at barnes and nobles but they sell it on Amazon. wish I still had it but I loaned it to a girl I dated who broke it off and never returned it buts its absolutely worth a read.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Charlesgate Confidential was one of the best mystery books I've read in a long time

Kind of enjoying these IQ series of crime novels by Joe Ide. He's no George Pelecanos, but I've read all his books

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Enjoyed this novel from Beevor many years ago. Good account of Stalingrad. Long, brutal battle for both sides.

With all this talk about books and Game of Thrones, I highly recommend "city of thieves" by David Benioff. I hope he goes back to writing novels when the show is done

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just finished that one. I knew from school the Nazis were all hopped up on meth during the war. This book goes into painstaking detail about the whole sorry affair. If you are interested in history or WWII its a good read.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ha! I thought I was the only one who knew that Benioff had a career outside of GoT. He also wrote The 25th Hour which was made into an underrated movie: Ed Norton...Phillip Seymour Hoff. I'm not usually a Spike Lee guy but the story was good. I ran across City of Thieves randomly before GoT was even a show.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2019
  • RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@swilkerson73 Is that actually good? I found the title and subject so off putting I didn't give it a chance.

Back to books, I just finished the Thrawn book from the Star Wars saga. Apparently there are a LOT of books that take place in between all the different movies. And I gota say, if they're all as good as Thrawn was then I'm in for a very good literary treat. I've never rooted for a villain as much as this. Although he doesn't exactly come off as a really bad guy in the story. It almost reads like a detective novel, just with the addition of the Imperial Navy with all the star destroyers and TIE fighters and such. Really fun book and I plan to read through much of them now.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

@Bulldawg1982 Seeing this book cover just brought back a massive flood of sweet childhood memories where I can just now hear Larry Munson (inside my head) in his own determined, and excited, somewhat gravel-ly voice saying to him (Loren Smith) in the radio listening days of my youth, "What-ya-got Loran?", or other times "Loran, What-ya-got?"