Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Books

Comments

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love that one. I'm actually relistening to his Century trilogy on audiobook right now.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is fantastic, and there is nothing like reading to a child. I still have great memories.

If you enjoy those sorts of books, and/or when your son starts reading on his own, Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series is really great for boys.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

he is 10 and a voracious reader. but that 15-20 minutes at night is part of our time together, we have a quick kids devotional and then whatever book we are reading (sometimes I read, sometimes he reads) and then I leave the room and he grabs whatever book he is reading and does that until he is asleep. he is going through where the sidewalk ends for a 2nd time. he loves the warrior kids books and we did all the Harry Potter books last year and year prior.

I will def. check out the chronicles of prydain, never heard of it

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is more than you want to know, but here are my favorite fantasy series, in no particular order.

Tolkien's The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy

Rowling's Harry Potter books

Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia (the first book is fantastic, the rest of the series falls a bit short)

Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain (five books)

McCaffrey's original Dragonriders trilogy

Donaldson's original Thomas Covenant trilogy

Brooks' original Shannara trilogy

Jordan's Wheel of Time (first six books)

Anthony's original Xanth trilogy

Goodkind's original Sword of Truth books (1 & 2)

Zelazny's Amber Chronicles (first five books)

Feist's Riftwar books (Magician: Apprentice through Darkness at Sethanon)

-------

Disclaimer: I have not read any of Brandon Sanderson's books, or George R.R. Martin's. I also never got around to Michael Moorcock back in the day.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Welcome to the off season

Edit: I just realized how old this post was. But comment still applies.

• Options

Congrats. Your in the middle of one of my favorite fantasy trilogies of all time. Book 2 is very philosophical. Also... how bout that ending in book 1 ;)

• Options

I'm currently reading the Red Rising series and it's fantastic. Humans and technology have evolved to the extent that we now have colonized space. Mercury, Venus, the moon, and all the way down to Saturn and Jupiter's moons. In fact, very little of the story even takes place on Earth. There all these difference human sub species now that are classified in colors. Golds rule, obsidians are giant physical brute warriors, etc. It's starts off with a **** class (reds) that rise up and overtake the ruling class. Lots of battles and wars. Politics. Philosophy. It's really great in every way. His attention to the details how things came to be is fascinating and precise. Can't recommend it enough.

There are 5 books so far and I'm currently on the 5th one now.

• Options

@AnotherDawg Going by your list you really should put Sanderson on your very soon to read list. I think you'd love it. He actually finished the Wheel of Time series. I haven't read any of those though. I will eventually but they're so long that will likely take me years to finish so I haven't tackled it yet.

• Options

many of those I have not heard of, will check out. I am pretty new to fantasy. KingKiller Chronicles got me into that genre. I have read the two main books twice and the three supplemental pieces once.

Check out The Alchemyst series. Seven books, involves mythology, magic, immortals, etc. It is YA but it is a fun series.

• Options

I loved book 1! Never read any Sanderson before. I heard book 2 is slower but that it really setups book 3, which people seem to love.

• Options

@AnotherDawg I did read the first book in the Wheel of Time series and was bored to death. I could not muster up the gumption to read the remaining 11 or however many are in that series.

Another trilogy that is not fantasy but scifi that is fast-paced and funny is The Bobiverse trilogy. I enjoyed that; listened to it on Audible

• Options

as someone still fairly new to fantasy, and it is still not my preferred genre but it has some gems, I find one of two issues plague many of the series: either they are a dozen books at half a million words each (so I need to dedicate years to finish) or the series is incomplete and it may or may not be finished (GoT and KKC, for example)

• Options

I think what I love about Sanderson and most of his fantasy books is that they're not to "fantastical". It's not over the top and he sets a specific set of rules moving forward and does a great job of not breaking those rules.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin is also a great fantasy book for kids

• Options
  • Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My son the Dr.(I love dropping that) said the "Dresden Files" is a good one to read. To show his intelligence he attended UCF for undergraduate work and Nova SouthEastern for the rest, but he bleeds red and black. One of my other sons graduated from UF but the only UF shirt he wears has to be completely void of any reference to Football and wears the red and black 99% of the time. Had UGA bed stuff in the dorm. Guess that really shows how smart I am.

• Options

I have read those, they are good. My only beef is that there are so many. It never really concluded. It's kind of like James Bond movies. Just different stories in the same world over and over.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

I’m a big CS Lewis fan. I’ve been to his grave, church and home in Oxford. Till We Have Faces is a good one and uses his background in mythical studies as a basis for a retelling of the Cupid and Psyche story.