Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What Russell Westbrook is doing is ridiculously under appreciated...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited March 2019 in Basketball

He'll wrap up his 3rd straight season of averaging a triple double in a couple of weeks. The NBA went 55 years without having a player accomplish it even once. Oscar Robertson did it once, in 1961/1962.

More remarkable still, Westbrook is 6'3'' 200lb. I'm not sure there's ever been a better athlete in The NBA.

Comments

• brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He definitely doesn't get the credit he deserves IMO

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jeff Van Gundy made a point on the broadcast last night. If Westbrook averaged half an assist less per game, would we still be talking as much about him? I personally would, because I think he's an astonishingly athletic superstar at point guard. It does make you think about our fixation on numbers; if he averaged 9.8 rebounds a game, would it be less impressive? He's the exact same player.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

0 RINGS ONLY STAT THAT MATTERS. EVEN ADAM MORRISON HAS TWO MORE RINGS THAN WESTBRICK

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

@YaleDawg

Y'all gonna take down the tigers in the tourney?

I think there is a good chance it happens. Lsu has some off court drama and Yale is under seeded.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He's doing good not some of those rebounds some those come from the big men not trying to get it.they move or just block out so he can get it.but it's still an amazing stat to have

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yale. Jordan was a superstar before he won a title. I don't think you can blame Westbrook for Harden and Durant bailing.

WESTBRICK IS A BALL HOG WHO PUTS HIMSELF ABOVE OTHERS. HE IS BIG ME LITTLE TEAM. STATS > CHAMPIONSHIPS IN HIS LOSER MIND

edited March 2019

Yale, you don't lead The NBA in assists if you're a ball hog. He's the PG, so of course he has the ball much of the time.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YaleDawg I am rooting for our northern brothers today against the swamp tigers. Hoping to see Isaiah Kelly get a minute or two on the floor. Go Bulldogs!

I'm being facetious. Those are the arguments people who dont understand basketball use against westbrook

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes the all or nothing crowd. I do love how much we love round numbers, as if 9.9 is way worse than 10.1, or is one assist equals one point or one rebound.

edited March 2019

TND - The only season I'm aware of where a player came very close to a triple double and fell just short was by Oscar Robertson in the early 60s. That's not to say it hasn't happened more, I'm sure there are other cases.

Still hitting a milestone 3 times that hadn't been done even once in 55 years is amazing. It's not just any milestone either, it's the ultimate measure of being very strong in all 3 main statistical areas.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally agree that it is a significant milestone, especially since he is the only one in the league doing it. He is clearly committed to playing at both ends of the court.

TND- committed AND capable athletically, not to mention the stamina required to do it night in night out.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The guys got game for sure but he’s still an ahole.

edited March 2019

A tidbit that caught my interest. Westbrook has 34 triple doubles this season alone. Michael Jordan had 28 in his entire career. Oscar Robertson is the career leader with 181, RW has 131as of now. His pace over the past 3 seasons blows past anything in the past though.

Edit. The more I dig the more remarkable it seems. Westbrook has 113 triple double just in the past 2 seasons and to this point in this season, only Robertson and Magic have more in their entire careers.

Westbrook had 46 TDs in the 2016/2017 season alone, only Big O, Magic, Jason Kidd, Lebron, Wilt and Bird had more in their entire careers. It's almost Ruthian.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m in that boat. Respect his game, but rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

JRT-I rarely watch or listen to interviews of athletes, so his personality isn't as much of an issue as it would be if I sat through ESPN's nightly recaps.

• UgaXforPresidentUgaXforPresident Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll stop you there. Ruth put up actual raw stats at an unprecedented level. Westbrook's raw stats (assists, points, rebounds) are what is impressive, especially over the length of time he has done it for. The triple double is a statistical fabrication for the sake of convenience and entertainment.

I will pose this scenario: Player A gets 10-10-10 every game for a whole season. Player B gets 10-10-9 half the nights and 10-10-11 the other half. If you look at raw stats, you're splitting hairs by saying they are not equivalent. But by triple double measure, Player A is twice the player as Player B.

Westbrook is impressive, no need to oversell it though.