Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Cheese Steak Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Philly brags about its cheese steaks. What's the best cheese steak you've had the pleasure of consumnig? Any recipes you might like to share.

For dessert, it's Natonal Chocolate Covered Raisin Day. I used to enjoy those at the Saturday movies when I was a kid - .25 to get into the show and .10 for chocolate covered raisins...watch the serials plus cartoons. Some fun there.

Comments

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Aging yourself a bit there aren't you don.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I hit up Pats and Genos when I visited philly. Preferred Pats. Dated a woman from Philadelphia and she said both were tourist traps. We didn’t date long enough for her to take me to her preferred destination

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I spent a few of my childhood years outside of Philly. There are definitely better options than Geno's and Pat's, but I don't recall a particular favorite. Moved to Georgia in 1983 and honestly never found a great steak & cheese in all my years here.

Last great one I had was in Williamsburg, VA. There's a sandwich place there called Rick's. It's small, nothing fancy, but the owner is from Philly and man they do it right. Highly recommend if you're ever in that neck of the woods.

-------

Also a big fan of chocolate covered raisins. In fact, my favorite candy was Nestle's Chunky Bar (which is chocolate, raisins, and peanuts). But I haven't seen one of those on the shelf in years. Not sure they still make them.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Having lived north of Philly for the past five years I have to say they actually eat more pretzels and pork rolls than cheesesteaks.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dont tar and feather me...or do what the heck I can take it. Firehouse has a pretty good steak and cheese add peppers, onions,mushrooms. Is there anything special that calls for the Philly part to be added? Or just where they originated

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

An authentic Philly combines thinly sliced and chopped steak, melted cheese and onions, all mixed together, on a hoagie roll. Sounds simple enough, but the difference between the real thing and what a lot of places serve is like the difference between a perfect slice of pizza in NYC compared to Domino's or Papa John's. It's all pizza, but worlds apart.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My son and grandson are going to Philadelphia for 76er's game that he won tickets to. He's a big Eagles fan. If there is a better place to get a cheese steak please share. They are planning to go to Geno's which I'm pretty sure won't disappoint.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Off 285 the mad Italian has the best cheese steak I’ve ever eaten.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

The best one I had was actually in philly. Can’t remember the name of the place, but it was a shack. The had rules stating be prepared to order or move back in line. True to their word it was like ordering from the soup nazi.

It was legit though. About the only good thing from philly. Trash.y town and rude people.

edited March 2019

Oh, there was this place called little philly in Chattanooga. Owned by people from philly and that’s all they served was food from there. However, they had a buffalo chicken sub that was amazing. Literally top 5 best things I’ve had. Tried to recreate it and just can’t. It went out of business but apparently a new one opened up recently. The sandwich if the same is worth the 3 + hours to drive and eat.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod
    edited March 2019

I really don't have much input here except that at I any chance I get, I watch food shows like Bourdain, A. Zimmern, Best of what ever and so forth. One episode I saw had a cheese steak where they slow cooked the meat and when finished, sliced it thin and put in a broth made from the juices to keep it moist. When a sandwich was ordered, toasted cut out hoagie roll, meat from the the stock on the flat iron for about a minute then to the bun. Quick whole sandwich submerge into the stock, then melted Velveeta on it with anything else you wanted.

Looked awesome........

• cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dang I'm hangry.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

That's the Chicago way. Usually called an Italian beef sandwich

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

That ^^ is Pat's

Suggest going on yelp .com and looking up cheese steaks in Philly. Can filter by highest rating. Issue is there are many higher listed "outside" of downtown. Look at the reviews and photos.

But ratings are all over the place. Many are CASH only. General complaints are that the meat is fairly tasteless, with a lot of grease (with the Cheese **** cheese, especially), and the bread quality a big contributor to the flavor. Also, the provolone isn't melted.

Note the Sponsored Results at the top

thats it. I don’t remember the name but I remember that sign. It was back in 02 (I think when I went) It was dinner after some basketball camp I helped with and the director took us there. I thought it was good, but I never eat cheese steak subs. That actually may the last time I had one.

Pretty cool you found it fireplugdawg bro