Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Small Town Delights/Hole in the Wall Delicacies

scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Reading the burger thread and a lot of others on food, it amazes me all the random(in a good way) recommendations from all over. Was thinking we pretty much had our own Diners/Driveins/Dives here. So why not a thread..but of course it might get unwieldy quickly so how about we try to pick one item/place that if your buddy was coming to visit for the first time you'd take them. NYC or Rockmart..doesn't matter..and it doesn't have to be something the place is known for..just legit good eats. I'm going to have to give mine some thought...

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

If the question is where I would take an out-of-town visitor, it's...

Hal's in Atlanta.

Liam's in Thomasville.

And back in the day, for me it was Di Palma's in Athens.

-------

If we're talking actual diners/drive-ins/dives, I'll go with...

The Varsity in Atlanta.

Market Diner in Thomasville.

And back in the day, it was the Taco Stand in Athens.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

This is a great idea for a thread...will add my verse to this song soon enough as I love these types of places. My friends give me a hard time for liking Guy Fieri, but I love his show as goofy as he is

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Waffle House is better than an pizza joint, and there’s a couple of them in most towns. Double hash browns covered with cheese, chili, and onions and a patty melt requested the old way instead of with Texas Toast.

Folks in Atlanta shouldnt even participate with this thread. There are no “hidden gems” people don’t already know.

• HumbleDawgHumbleDawg Posts: 27 ✭✭✭ Junior

just in case you find yourself about as far north in the state as you can be,

Pie Slingers - Rock Springs

and if you go due south to just short of Florida

Jonah’s - Thomasville

Jonah's wasn't around when I lived in T'ville, but I've heard good things.

Some of my faves for NYC...(and I'll skip the pizza since we've covered that and @Bankwalker isn't a fan 😉)

Frankel's--Jewish deli, only open for breakfast and lunch. They do a pastrami, egg, and cheese on challah roll that is incredible. They also do brisket and pastrami for lunch also. It's in Greenpoint not too deep into Brooklyn. I saw a Rolling Stone issue with Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin there and it ticked me off thinking everyone is going to go there now, but it's still great. https://frankelsdelicatessen.com

Roll-n-Roaster--You gotta wanna go to this place since it's so deep in Brooklyn. In a neighborhood called Sheepshead Bay. Roast Beef sandwiches and fries. Also you can get an orange-ade. Like Arby's x 10. https://www.rollnroaster.com

BobWhite Lunch and Supper Counter--Bank this'll be right up your alley. The girlfriend says this place has the best buffalo chicken sandwich she's ever had. I swear by the fried chicken and it's the only decent place in town to get a biscuit. My cousin who lives here (from Statesboro, but he'll tell you Savannah) were both eyeing the biscuit on the table next to us as they left it uneaten. Almost asked her if she wanted it. https://www.bobwhitecounter.com

Is Five Points Deli still in Athens? That's still the best chicken salad sandwich I've ever had, to this day. (Their regular chicken salad, not the "fancy" one with grapes and nuts.)

And since I'm a generous sort...here's my places when I'm in Augusta. Double check with @Teddy as he actually lives there...

1. Nacho Mama's. Always loved this place. IMO only decent place for Mexican in town
    2. Rhineheart's. Primarily seafood, but burger is legit too. If you go to the one in Evans you can take a short walk to Evans High School alma mater to baseball great Todd Greene and baseball not-so-great me.
    3. Ruth's. Breakfast and lunch spot. I love it. Bill Murray (allegedly) stops there every master's week. It outlasted the Po'Folks right next door
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Gasthaus German Restaurant in Manchester Tenn. was a good one. I just read that it's now closed permanently though, too bad. It was owned by a German immigrant family. They made some of the best Reuben sandwiches and authentic German dishes of all kinds I've ever tasted. My go too meal there was the Reuben with German potato salad and a St. Pauly's Girl Beer.

• loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great thread; thanks to @scooterdawg for starting. There is a long list of gems here in S. FL where I live but I’ll pick an old favorite: Food Shack in Jupiter FL. Funny enough, this place is just a few doors down from Orchids of Asia, the place where Bob Kraft was busted for solicitation. It is a wildly popular restaurant with world class food, despite their neighbors. Below is a copy of today’s specials, but they also have a limited regular menu. If you like fresh seafood and trying new things, this place is off the charts good.

• ziggyholidayziggyholiday Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No love for Dairy Lane? haha

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg sadly 5 Points Deli is no longer there. It closed not too long after I graduated (2009). If you like Jonah’s and Liam’s in Tville you should try The American in Bainbridge. And we have a brewery open soon on the square as well!

• BrianDawgBrianDawg Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looking for advice

driving down from Virginia for part of the Masters

staying at Stone Mountain for 3 days as well

any recommendations for local restaurants

• BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you’ve never been to the Masters before then congrats in advance. I’m biased as my family has had tickets for ages but as a fan it’s one of the best experiences of any “professional” sport. But, that means that everywhere is going to be crowded as hell that week. Maybe some of the full time Augusta natives can give you some tips on lesser known spots to try. I think a lot of the out of towners stick to the places on Washington Rd. T-Bonz used to be a popular spot?

I’m still trying to figure out what my top choice would be for the Atlanta area but @loxahatcheedawg ‘s seafood place looked great and reminded me of one of my favorite “hole in the wall” places.

My family’s been going to an island off of Beaufort, SC since the 70s and there’s a place on St. Helena Island(one of the preceding islands) called the Shrimp Shack. It is in fact a pretty ramshackle looking place with odd days and hours of service. It also happens to be right across the highway from a small shrimp boat Marina that probably looks familiar as it’s the physical place they used as the setting for the Bubba Gump one in Forrest Gump. They also filmed the Vietnam scenes in the area.

So besides it being kinda cool to see the film location, it’s across the street from where boats come in and the Shrimp Shack gets their stuff right off the boat daily and fry it up to order. My family is biased and it’s well known to people who vacation in the area, but new people I take there always love it. Shrimp are amazing and my mom and aunts love the clams and scallops too.

edited March 2019

I like Guy too. I get that he’s just a personality and his shtick can get old but if you watch the Food Network Star thing it’s pretty obvious they value on camera skill over cooking and Fieri is better than most of their talent yet he gets killed.

Near as I can tell he’s a decent enough guy who is still with his pre fame wife and tries to involve his kids as much as possible in a non douchey way. Plus I’ve heard that DDD really helps the small places on there get attention/business. I’ll take Guy over Bobby Flay who has a rigged competition show that is designed to showcase all the C-list celebs he knows and that he wins 95% of the time lol.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hunter's Pub. It lies in the middle of nowhere in between Columbus and LaGrange. It looks like a shack and they serve the best steaks and seafood. If you live in middle west GA there's a really good chance you know about it. I don't order a steak from say Longhorn or Outback. I can cook one better for half the price. I order a steak from Hunter's Pub.