Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Best Hot Wings?

PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t know about you, but for me.... Hot Wings are life. Every Saturday that the Dawgs are playing, it does not matter what I am cooking.... I am also getting wings. It is just not a true game day without wings to me.

That being said, other than the ones you cook in your own back yard.... Who has the best Hot Wings. @Kasey and @DGDinNYC I am expecting to hear of some great places up your way

I have had wings all over, and get them most anywhere I go if they have them just so that I can try them.

For me the best wings are at Amici, their wings are always a good size, plump white meat, and never have the freezer burned smell to them. The flavor is their XX with honey. I believe the honey is what sets the wing apart, the brushed on honey helps crisp up the skin and helps to offset the heat. If you have not tried wings at Amici then I would strongly suggest it, don’t skip out on the honey

J.R crickets in atlanta is a historical place

Big Bob Gibsons with the special sauce is always worth a try

Hattie B’s in Nashville

While many places have unique flavors, it is hard to beat a original buffalo flavored wing

Comments

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

When I lived in Atlanta I used to enjoy the original Taco Mac in Virginia-Highlands; it was the first place I had Pilsner Urquell beer as well!

Best wings I ever had were in Rochester, NY at Jeremiah's. They had mild, hot, catatonic and wise-guy specials. Of course I ordered wise-guy specials; extremely hot but flavorful; I loved them!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

in all honesty i amm late to the game when it comes to hot wings...still got a lot to learn and a ways to go before i get up to proper heat.

however, my concierge friends at my hotel swear by pok pok in brooklyn. currently closed but probably reopening in a food hall sometime soon, so write it down bc those guys have forgotten more about food than i'll ever know

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

^ I pretty much only go for grilled wings. Find them superior to fried. And hard to find grilled wings out.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Moes. They are a dry wing which I prefer.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it's not a cool hole in the wall, but I've yet to find a better flavor than zaxbys hot honey mustard wings.. get em every time.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gators Dockside in Jax area have great grilled wings. Not as good as mine done in the Airfryer but close.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Buffalo Wild Wings "Habanero and Mango" are pretty solid!

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree that J.R. Crickett's lemon pepper are a gift from God. I really enjoyed them during my time in ATL and look forward to enjoying them again when I make my way back down in October..

A few years ago I found myself in Buffalo and inside a place called Duffs. If I remember correctly, their rival, Anchor Bar claims to have invented the "buffalo" wing, but Duff's perfected it. They are absolutely incredible. Crunchy, moist, spicy and flavorful.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In eatonton ga, in a single-wide trailer next to McDonalds is a place named “Wings and things.”

the lemon pepper wings are the best I’ve ever had. Only open on Thursday Friday and Saturday... but oh, so good.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And yes... I realize it sounds like a criminal minds episode with the description

• DawgsonTopDawgsonTop Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amici’s w/ honey is pretty solid in Athens. In Atlanta, gotta go Clays Sports Cafe on Roswell Rd. Wing Factory was also solid growing up.

• SATX_DAWGSATX_DAWG Posts: 36 ✭✭✭ Junior

although I live in San Antonio right now every time I’m back in Atlanta Three Dollar Cafe is my go to wing spot! I don’t like my wings soaking in sauce they keep em real crispy..Hattie B’s is amazing... American deli is solid if you’re near one.

San Antonio you’re pretty much stuck with Wing Stop lol

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another vote for Clays.

These food threads are proving to me that Im not that in to food, I guess. Wings are just an appetizer, pizza is overpriced flavored bread, and burgers are a fallback when nothing else on the menu looks appealing.

Food is a necessity, and aside from your utility bills, one of my least favorite things to buy. Utilities top the scale for me because everything is in the past and you never really know if you are being told the truth. Food is No 2 because it is single consumption and all you have to show for it later is a pile of No 2.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I use Greenwise drums from Publix (buy when BOGO). Put 10 Drums (NOT drumettes else adjust cook time) in a bowl and coat with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Pre-heat air fryer to 400 then add 5 of the wings and cook for 29 minutes (turning after 15 and 25 minutes). Remove from fryer and wrap in foil to retain heat. Repeat with other 5. When done baste with favorite sauce (I use Frank's with a little butter melted in it) and put back in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes. Remove and eat. The drums are very moist/juicy but well cooked throughout. Cooking time may vary with size or how long they have been out of the fridge; I go by sight with the meat starting to separate from the thin end of the bone.

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

Y'all sleep on smoked wings.

• JayJay Posts: 198 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A pretty subjective thing to voice an opinion on. We make our own with Pete's. I like mine super hot with blue cheese, celery, and carrot slices to numb the burn. Don't get how ranch dressing is better. Both good though.

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cafe Hot Wing near the Big Chicken in Marietta. Been consistently awesome for at least the last two decades.

My top keys for good hot wings: a good dry rub so you can have a kick without the wings being too saucy and of moderate size. Some people like their wings with girth, I find that when you get past a certain size, it's hard to be consistent with the "doneness" in each bite.