Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Braves

VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

I did not grow up a baseball fan by any means. The Braves last won it all the year I was born (1995). Back in 2012 and 2013 I think I watched every single game for 2 years. I fell in love with the roster. Freeman, Gattis, Heyward, Simmons, the brothers Upton, Chris Johnson, Kimbrel (the only baseball jersey I've ever owned). By no means were they championship caliber, but they were fun as all get out to watch. Then they overhauled the roster and I quit watching for about 5 years. I'm getting back into it now. A young core with some veterans. Need pitching in a bad way. Sorry for the longish post.

Anywho, over/under 110 RBI for Acuna this year?

If y'all want, we can make this a running thread for all things Braves (highlights, twitter, live in game chatter, memories, etc.) throughout the season.

Comments

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Acuna's RBI production will depend on those ahead of him consistently getting on base. Freddie will be fine, not in love with Inciarte and Donladson's OBP, so I say under.

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

@TNDawg71

I'm not certain, but didn't Dansby see some lead off at bats last year or the year before? What was his production like?

Some, the 2nd spot as well. He was ok for spurts, but ever since he got hit his approach at the plate has looked shaky. He has looked decent early, but I'm afraid Dansby will be a good glove, ok power, low OBP SS, set for the back end of the lineup.

Albies is the one who I think still has some room for development. Hopefully his second half free fall was more about his youth.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One is left to wonder just how good his team would be if Liberty Media were not the owners.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Ted still owned the team they would’ve at least addressed both starting pitching (a true ace) and bullpen.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ted would blow the current situation by signing a bunch of veterans past their prime to overvalued contracts with stoopid deferred money.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need Folty to have another season like last years and solidify himself as an ace, Newcomb to cut down on walks to realize his potential, and one of Touki, Wright, Fried, Soroka, or Wilson to graduate from prospect to legitimate MLB starter in order to have a successful season. Once Minter and O'Day get back, I think our bullpen will be ok. Yes, they can throw more strikes, but a bullpen is the easiest thing to fix in season. Our offense will be very good, I'm not worried about it at all.. I don't like Acuna in the clean-up spot however, because I don't think Markakis can protect him. With that being said, he should still be .290-30-100. We still have one of the top 2 farm systems in baseball despite graduating a ton of talent and more financial flexibility than most since we didn't spend foolishly this off-season, so if we're still in it at the ASG, we can make a big splash for an ace, RF, or key bullpen piece. Hell, we could do all 3 if we want. I'm excited for the future of our franchise.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, those 14 straight playoff appearance days, hated those days of Ted paying players too much. Much better now.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Honestly, they sign Steve Avery the ace problem is taken care of. And Alejandro Pena for the closers role...problem solved

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ted Turner did not own the team from 1996 on, and Schuerrholz made modest free agent acquisitions, outside of Greg Maddux. The Braves didnt start winning until Ted agreed to remove himself.

Bruce Sutter, Al Hrabisky, Omar Moreno, Craig Nettles, Gary Roenicke - the list goes on. Overpaid for Nick Esasky but the vertigo was unpredictable.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2019

Turner was a great owner as soon as he left the day to day baseball stuff to baseball guys. Specifically Bobby Cox.

Bringing him back to GM was a great move by Turner. He said at the time firing Bobby Cox was his biggest mistake.

Cox then overhauled the entire organization setting it up for the long run of success. Drafting Glavine, Justice, Blauser, Lemke, Avery, and making the deal for Smoltz. And yes Turner wasn't afraid of spending which helped a bunch. McGriff, Maddux and others.

BTW Turner was a helluva sailor. Most dont know that. He is in the National Sailing Hall of Fame and has successfully defended America's Cup.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

wasn't Esasky a home grown farm system guy - who couldn't hit much. Way to stiff or as some would say, un-fluid hips.

Esasky was a Cincinatti Red who used to kill us in Fulton County stadium. The idea was he would be phenomenal for 81 games a year there. Of course he wouldn't be hitting against Braves pitching, and the vertigo thing killed the experiment.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dansby's production in a word..awful.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Turner left the day to day operations to pros after a short try at being hands on. He was an excellent owner in allowing The GM to sign who he felt was needed to win though.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

TNDawg71

Thanks. Not sure with whom I'm getting Nick mixed up. We had a potential "big-bopper" come up but he couldn't handle big league pitching.