Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

He was kind of a junior Steinbrenner in the 80s though. As someone who watched A LOT of bad Braves teams in 89/90...he needed a little extra help

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed. But I think the Steinbrenner guy had some success too, didn’t he? Either way, I’m just not going to place every bad contract on him, and every good contract someone else gets the credit.

I know you’re a Mets fan, but yes or no, would you take him as an owner over liberty (or 90%+ percent of current MLB owners)? Oh, how spoiled us Braves fans used to be. I’ll take an owner who’s willing to spend top 3 money nearly every single year over what we have now. That’s what he did, and yes, he figured it out and let the baseball guys do their thing and he just wrote the checks. And for that I’m thankful. Otherwise, the Braves of the 90s just would’ve been another perennial losing team from the state of GA if it wasn’t for him.

Not saying you are, but others can trash him all they want, but we’d take him back in a heartbeat as the owner over this current garbage. Even if he was evaluating/signing the players, he would’ve attempted to sign an ace and bullpen help this year at least, Liberty will just standpat and collect the profits and laugh at us fans all the way to the bank.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Hah...don't talk to me about bad owners...the Wilpons are still paying Bobby Bonilla. But ultimately if the argument is whether you'd have Ted or Liberty, I think Ted wins each time.

The reason why Steinbrenner won all those titles in the 90s was bc he was suspended and Gene Michael was running the team without some impulsive owner making him trade every good young prospect. I'm convinced that if he was around he would've traded Bernie Williams for Billy Hatcher and Rob Dibble on the Reds

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

For those who missed it, Braves swept the Cubs. Won tonight's game behind six shutout innings by Max Fried and a fairly decent (/s/) offensive day for Nick Markakis. 5-for-5 with 5 RBI.

Also, Foltynewicz threw five scoreless innings in his rehab start at Gwinnett.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Swanson and Albies can keep hitting and Markakis can have a similar season to last year, the offense has a chance to be really good. Acuna and Freeman will hit, Camargo can fill in and hit from several positions, McCann will contribute as well.

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just think not going after a franchise catcher like Realmuto, and paying the guy was a big miss on our part. I mean Bmac is at the last stage of his career, and we need an all star caliber guy back there to handle all these young arms. I mean why is Teheran still in a Braves uniform? Soroka, Fried, Newcombe, Gohara, Toussant etc have all made at least 7-10 big league starts; and Wright is gonna be a star as well. So they're not being threw into the fire ( so no need to worry about their mentality if they had a bad outing.)

Bottom line; we have too many arms that are worth gold on the trade block. We've been rebuilding for 4-5 years (and that's just being lenient because of the new gm.) It's like the thought "let's see if we can win the division again with what we have again" is floating over this team. Pitching wins championships. Which is why we were dominant with Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz. But we DO need a young stud behind the plate to help these young arms, and to grow with them. Besides that, if we had a legit shutdown closer and another utility player or 2, I'd be content with that.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many utility guys can a team keep? We have two pretty good ones in Camargo and Culberson. If we added more, where would be subtract? Maybe from the bullpen. Not sure where the other spots would come from.

• Options

Braves currently up 4-0 over the Marlins in the 6th.

In other baseball news, Crash Davis is now 0-for-17 with 11 strikeouts.

• Options

Make that a 4-0 final score for the Braves tonight.

Gausman with 7 shutout innings.

Biddle with the hold. Vizcaino with the save.

Acuna and Flowers each with a homer.

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Summary:

The line up is good enough to win a world series. The pitching is there, but unproven. Don’t give up on them yet. Still a few guys waiting to recover from injury. Once the pen gets back to full strength, watch out. This could be a WS team.

• Options

Totally agree. Still think we're gonna need one major FA signing. If not Kimbrel now, then someone else at the deadline. I'll be watching either way. Love it.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was just about to say about Dansby! Real question: if Dansby can keep up this level of power and RBI production, is it conceivable he moves into the 4 spot in the lineup so that Acuna can move back to leadoff? I know Acuna can mash and that he looks the part of a true cleanup guy, but I think we lose something without Acuna batting 1st.

• Options

I'd see him more as a 5-6 guy at most.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he can give this lineup 15-20 HRs and bat 260-70 we should be thrilled. I'd love for him to keep this up, but let's be realistic, it is a hot streak.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm hoping Inciarte can return to his yearly average of batting around .300. Having Acuna bat with more runners on is beneficial for the whole team. Need Inciarte, Acuna, and Donaldson to step it up, and this could be an extremely potent lineup.

They were talking about how Swanson has been working with Chipper on his approach at the plate. Hopefully that turns into long term success we've all been waiting on. Only time will tell if this is a hot streak or him turning the corner.

• Options

I think it was mentioned that he chose to be a .280 type hitter with 15-20 HR a season as opposed to a 20-25 HR type guy who hits .240. I hope he makes it. What a boost for the club to have some productivity at the bottom of the lineup. Most of what's he's done has been in the # 8 hole. too. Pitchers don't offer much protection.

• Options

Dansby hurt his wrist his senior year at Vandy. He has dealt with it, on some level, for the past four years. It finally got bad enough last season that he opted for surgery. So, there's a chance that what we're seeing now is the real Dansby Swanson (which would explain why he was once the #1 overall pick in the draft.)