Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How Old Would You Be....

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In line with the really interesting thread on country music, Toby Keith's song from the movie, Mule, has an interesting line.

"How old would you be if you did not know the day you were born " ?

Food for thought.

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Depends, would I at least know the week I was born ?

Seriously though, I'd be lost. My back feels 90 at times, but my muscle tone is freakish for my chronological age of 62.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

(Cannot quote) I am a Wednesday's Child. Not really "full of woe", but close. (Woe may mean "empathetic" and I am that.) As to me - my self image - I am more like Friday "loving and giving". Link says the days' descriptions (Wednesday and Friday) may have been flipped.

Just playing with you. Toby meant year not day. Should have written it that way. Poet my fanny.

• SouthGA_DawgSouthGA_Dawg Posts: 227 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wouldn’t feel much of a difference but I would feel younger and older at the same time so I guess it kind of balances out

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Today I feel like I'm 100. Hopefully as the day goes on it will get better and I'll feel like a spring chicken.

If not already, then in the past 1.5 hours, there are likely 8 country songs with that phrase in it. Get thee to Nashville, but don't forget your roots.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg I checked out your link and it didn't get into the history behind that so I thought I would share in case anyone is interested.

Wednesday is named for the Norse god Odin, also spelled Woden. So it is Woden's Day.

Similarly Sunday is the Day of the Sun. Monday is the Day of the Moon. Tuesday is named for Tyr, the Norse god of war, whose Anglo-Saxon name was Tiu. Thursday is Thor's Day. Friday is Frigga's Day (Odin's wife), and Saturday is named for the Roman god Saturn.

-------

Please forgive the tangent. I love word origins.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My original post referred to the date of ones birth and not the day of the eeek

Mice aside - NO, the lyric is "day". Could have easily said "date" or "year", which is what he meant. Knowing that one is born on April 9, whatever, doesn't relate to how old one would be (feeling). Today is Tuesday. That is the day that is today.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

@donm Lately, it seems as though I always feel a bit tired, but I always continue to find a way to press on. That’s been going on probably since the first of this year. I will turn 56 on May the 4th. Some days (those are the good ones folks) I feel as though I’m back in my mid thirties. Hey! Feeling 20 years younger than I really am, is a really, really good thing, right?? That’s about as good as I can hope for these days. However, most of the time? I feel either right about my own age of 55, and then sometimes I feel somewhat older than that. I think that the key to my own well being and happiness, is for me to find good laughter, and to seek out really good people to keep my company with, and all of that collectively makes me feel much better each and everyday that I am blessed with simply being here among the living. My late father John used to say, "the best thing about getting older Christopher??, is that you are still here!!!" LOL I really DO enjoy my time in here with all of y’all. GO DAWGS!!!

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No idea, I do no that time moves faster than my internal clock, people ask my age, I'm usually a year behind, my wife will correct and I'll stare at her in disbelief

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

no idea... my head says 16, but my knees etc say otherwise

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know both those feelings.. I sometimes forget my age and have to do the math. Only really concerned when the the first numeral changes in my age.

Also know the feeling of getting corrected by my wife

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said. Kudos to you.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel good if I remember what day of the week it IS let alone was when I was born!