Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Pet Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Any photos or stories you wish to share about a favorite pet of yours ?  One day, I was about 16 and working at my dad's service station - I think they are called gas stations now. I was pumping some gas into a customer's car when I heard this "fluttering" sound. I felt something on my head and reached up for it. It turned out to be a parakeet. I took it home to my grand mom, who lovingly spent hours teaching it to "talk".  It was our pet for many years and we called it Willie Mac, after Willie McCovey.

It's also National 8 Track Tape Day. Can you recall your favorite 8 track tape from back in the day? Do any of you not even know what an 8 track tape is?

Comments

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I took one of my dogs on my boat with a couple friends of mine to a reservoir so we could do some swimming a couple of years ago. He hadn't really spent much (any) time in the water before but anyway we all jump out and start swimming and he's running around the boat watching us wanting to get in and finally he does jump in and then disappears. It seemed like it was 5 minutes but it was probably closer to 30 seconds later I see him just like bob to the surface and I go over to him and his feet were like glued to his body he was so terrified of moving them. He's an Akita and they have webbed feet and everything so I didn't believe he would have any issues. But he did. Lol, ever try and stuff a 110 lb dog up above your head? Thats what I basically had to do to try and get him back into the boat. Anyway, after we did get him on we went back to shore and I tried to teach him how to swim in shallow water but he wouldn't have any part of it. He wouldn't fight me to stay out of the water but I never could get him to try and paddle either. One of the scariest/funniest things of my life.

As far as 8 tracks go my step dad had one and I listened to Charlie Daniels Devil went down to Georgia on repeat (or rewind and restart) when I was a teenager ironically enough. I grew up in the midwest and had no idea about Georgia then.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have a great dane. He loves to try to sleep in the bed with hubby and I but there simply isn't room but bless his bones he does give it a good try. He usually wakes me up at 6:30 on Saturdays because he deems it his time on my side of the bed. A couple of weeks ago I noticed his flea collar getting too tight so we cut it off but hadn't gotten to the pet store to get a new one and he pouted for a solid week. He wouldn't try to get into the bed and he didn't wake me up early to take my place. He stayed on his futon that is in our room for the whole week. We got him a new collar and all is right in his world once again.

There was nothing worse than saving to get your favorite 8 Track only to have the player eat it.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have had many dogs, cats and reptiles through the years. Each one leaves a mark in your life.

As far as 8 tracks I wore out a copy of Hotel California in about a week when it came out, also had a Foghat Live that got a lot of play time. Had a 69 Charger R/T. That beotch would fly.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The collar becomes part of their identity, so your great dane wasn't pouting but very disoriented. Taking off the collar is one of the tricks that kennels and some vets use to control a dog.

Chow chows are wonderful dogs. Had an A++, two A+, and some lesser ones. Now, have an A and what appears like should be an A dog, but is really messed up - hard life, rescued - missing some front teeth - very frightful. My wife is his everything. Love dogs. Raised with cockers.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I was young my dad drove a brown two door hard top 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88 that had an 8-track player, and we would listen to the Beatles' albums Revolver and Rubber Soul.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

my grandad “pops” had a wiener dog named jelly bean. He was older when I was a kid. He would get all excited when I showed up and pee every where. He got excited and urinated on his bed. Well one day I showed up and jelly bean didn’t show up to greet me. Pops told me he took me to be a seeing eye dog. It didn’t hit me until later in life where I questioned my father why Pops would give someone a wiener dog to be a seeing eye dog. That’s when he told me he got upset he urinated on his bed and “ took him to the pasture”

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Those 8 tracks would worth a little bit of money these days. Sold the same two first release LP's for a pretty penny...

As for pets, in my lifetime I've had dogs, cats, fish, birds, reptiles, rodents, bees, and butterflies. I'm probably leaving something out. Also served on the board of a local animal shelter once and that was a great experience. It was in South Georgia so they weren't some wacko anti-hunting outfit like PETA or the national Humane Society.

Had to put down dogs every day due to non-stop intake plus lack of space, limited adoption, and limited foster homes. I put a couple of dogs down myself just to see what the staff has to go through. Man, that is rough.

The upshot is, if you have a dog, get him spayed/neutered, and next time you want a dog, please consider adopting from your local shelter.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

My dog is named Dooley. You’re just not a good Georgia fan of you haven’t hadn’t a least one pet named Dooley, Munson, or Herschel.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I want to get a golden retriever or an English bulldog. The gf is putting the kibosh on both right now

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

too bad. Keep after it and wear her down. Once the retriever starts liking her, it'll be over!!

Here is another story. Grew with plenty of black labs and English springer spaniels. Got a chocolate lab pup, but he was absolutely nuts. He ate rose bushes, bricks, metal legs from the smoker, door knobs and even the HVAC unit electrical line. Shocked him good and took him to the vet. He got well and did it again. Training and time in the yard would not do anything for him. He was crazy! All lab pups have their chewing moments, but he was something else. His name was chance.

Replaced him with a mutt we rescued and was the absolute best dog I ever had. Named him chance as well

So many purebreds are inbred and their traits often manifest in the ways you describe. Just one more reason to get a mutt!

@AnotherDawg my wife worked at our local animal control shelter as a vet assistant and caretaker, had to put critters down 3 times a week. She also helped care for 14 of Vick's dogs while they were being held as evidence. Our last 4 dogs and 2 cats have been rescues and were and are the best pets we have ever had. She now is working at her second low cost spay and neuter clinic. Please folks check your local shelter if you are looking for a pet, it is suprising how many purebred dogs come through shelters and the mutts can be great companions!

God bless you and your wife @Catfish!

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

That’s Mrs Gresham Disco. When we first got married, she owned a lot of orange outfits. Now she’s has thrown them all away and makes fun of Gator fans at her work. I’m keeping her!

edited April 2019

He was legit. My father got the paper work and spent a dime on him. Just had energy that could not be roped up. It happens. I imagine with all dogs but in my experience with labs, some are “different” no matter how strong the line is.