Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National Adopt A Shleter Pet Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited April 2019 in Off Topic

There are thousands of animals out there in shelters needing a new home. If you can't adopt one, try volunteering at a local shelter - you can help feed or exercise animals. Some great pets out there looking for a new home.

It's also National Honesty Day. Try to be truthful in all you do today. Try answering all questions honestly on this day, even if it means telling the truth about Dan Mullen.

It's also National Prepareathon Day. This day focuses on being ready for disasters - both natural and man-made. It might mean something as simple as having a good first aid kit in your home and/or vehicle. It might mean having a disaster emergency plan for yourself and/or your family.

FInally, it's National Oatmeal Cookie Day. I'm pretty sure you need no suggestions on how to celebrate this day.

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I heartily endorse this one Donm. Always look to find a new pet at a shelter, you're saving a life.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Great Dane we had before the one we have now came from a shelter and he was an awesome dog. The most well behaved and mild mannered dog you could ever hope to have. Unfortunately he got cancer and we had to have him euthanized. It broke our hearts. I keep an eye out on all of the shelters around Athens to see what they have and if any will fit into our insane household. One day it will happen. Who knows, I might find another Dane.

• Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I second this. The last 3 dogs I’ve had have either been from a shelter or rescue and they’ve been some of the best dogs I’ve had. It’s been 20+ years since we bought from a breeder and I’ll probably never do it again (my wife wants a mastiff or Cain Corso, if we can’t find a rescue with one she may buy one but we’ll start looking at rescue’s first).

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Muffingod. Good point to include rescues. we have 2 critters now. A foxhound that I literally pulled off an animal control truck in Black Mountain NC 12 years ago, and a cat ( never thought I'd have a cat) that was living in a drainage pipe with a kitten. The dog had a terrible bacterial skin infection and would have been put down the next morning. The cat would follow behind me when I went walking meowing as if to say she needed a home. We also took in the kitten which a niece of mine named Tommy Boy, he wandered off and never came back, I hope he's ok.

• Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s awesome, love hearing those kinds of stories. I never really wanted cats because I hate litter boxes but my wife likes them and now we have two cats. One she rescued while on a field trip to the recycling facility while we were still at Georgia, it and a sibling were in a bunch of brush about to go through a wood chipper. She took one and a classmate took the other. The other cat was a rescue from Hurricane Irma, so naturally we named her Irma. She’s an odd cat, but aren’t they all?