Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Estate Sale find - trip down memory lane

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The old lady down the street sold her house so I moseyed on down to see if she had anything worth scavenging - and mostly she did not. I noticed a trunk with a bunch of newspapers inside and one I saw was from the Braves Pirates playoff series in 1992. I dug thru a little and found the front page and sports page for the historic game 7.

No price was listed and the woman selling didn’t even know it was there or what it was. I gave her $1. Well worth it just to read again, but I’ll bet I can sell it on eBay for a profit. If I so choose. Kind of doubt my wife let’s me frame and hang it in the house. 🤫

Comments

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty cool find

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was there that night. Tres’ cool.

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Estate Sales gives the true meaning to one person's garbage is another guy's treasure.

My uncle purchased a chest full of old baseball cards from a guy in Orlando for $200. The guy said it was his late father's but he never liked sports and had no idea what to charge for them. In the chest was a 1969 Nolan Ryan rookie, a Mike Schmidt rookie, and then a true treasure of an unopened box of 1952 Topps. Of course he pulled a freaking Mickey Mantle rookie out of the box...had it graded and came back as a 9. This was about 7 or 8 years ago.

Then I had a friend of mine that buys and sells precious metals. A guy comes in his store with $22,000 worth of silver in the forms of forks, spoons, butter knives, tea sets, and tray. The guy laughingly told him he paid a guy $90 for the litter at a yard sale.

Beginning to think I need to go dumpster diving. But with my luck I will waste thousands in gas to only end up with some wrapped tubberware or something else useless like the Double Dragon video game for the original Nintendo.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

I haven't done many estate sales, but I do stop by thrift stores every so often. I started selling stuff on eBay a couple of years ago after I acquired a lot of stuff from cleaning out a family owned building. Started mainly with a collection of around 200 old vinyl albums. Beatles, Stones Dylan etc. Sort of lit a fire and started looking in thrift stores to find certain "donations." Came across this framed concert poster for Bruce Springsteen for a concert played at MSU ( Miss. St. U. ) Liked the look of it and ended up paying $6.50 for it.

Did a lot of research and couldn't find anything about it except that Springsteen had MSU on a concert tour back in the mid 70's. Listed it on eBay for $45.00 thinking "what the hey..."

Sold for $480.00..........

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I swear Springsteen fans have so much disposable income. The prices his broadway show was getting toward the end were unheard of

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

And they are world wide. Had a guy from Germany email me an offered $125.00 for it. I told him we still had 5 days to go in the auction so lets wait and see, but I would be glad to "consider it." Think the bid was around $65 at the time.....