Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Difference between an excuse and a reason?

tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another article prompted this but in the comments there was someone talking about UGA's loss to Texas. They were discrediting the win because UGA was not motivated and therefor Texas's win isn't as valid. Now, my thoughts on this apply to pretty much every facet of life, not just the the Sugar Bowl

I know of this will be come down to semantics and context so it is a general rule, not a hard line

An excuse to me is a failure. It means you had shortcomings that were in your control and you messed up. UGA not being motivated is an example. You losing and then saying it is because you did not give 100%. Well, the other team showed up to play. They are not responsible for you giving 100%. Using that excuse is embarrassing, shows a lack of class and respect, and it is done in a way to cheapen the other team's victory. Again, this can apply to almost anything in life and on an individual level.

A reason to me is completely different. It is something outside of your control. It has validity. Say the team gets the flu or food poisoning the night before. A thunderstorm stops a high scoring, back and forth game, where the opponent happened to have the ball last and they get the win. Whatever. But you did your best and circumstances outside of your control interfered. This does not cheapen the opponents win, shows more class and respect, and something that is understandable.

I do not think this a a "kids today" thing as there have always been excuses for personal laziness and shortcomings. And it does not mean you can't bring up the fact that UGA was not playing their best. But I think it should be said in a way to criticize UGA and not disrespect Texas. Again, just an example and the onus for my rambling. I am a few days away from getting married and about to be done with work for a couple of weeks so killing time. Thanks for coming to my Tedx talk

Comments

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great post. And there are differences between reasons and excuses.

Texas beat Georgia - whether someone wants to call them reasons or excuses - who cares.

The problem with sports - regardless if there are legitimate reasons - it always comes out as excuses.

When coaches are in the safe environment of their meeting rooms or locker rooms - they can discuss legitimate reasons why they lost a game. But anything said to the media or general public will always come out as excuses.

Georgia simply didn't control controllables.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

i think Kirby agrees with you and took that loss upon himself. The whole “do more” theme is the message of 2019.

Maybe it’ll be the catalyst for a memorable and (hopeful) championship season

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sooo it’s not too late, don’t do it.😁

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A reason garners support for your theory, an excuse only pleases the individual making it.

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree for the most part. Any attempts to justify the losses to Texas or Bama last year are excuses. However, I'll be long cold in my grave before I believe the NC game loss was for any REASON other than epically horrific officiating.

So, what did you forget to do for your wife? I'm not interested in hearing the consequences.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

haha! I forget stuff all the time in all facets of my life.

Going further though, I don’t excuse the Texas loss, but I think people are letting that affect their opinions of UGA as a program, and I think that’s foolish. You see all these predictions of FL beating us this year—I don’t think that’s as popular without that loss.

Don't remember anyone on here believing we were better in 18 than 17.

And yes, Georgia was more talented than Texas - but didn't play well.

Everyone on here knows about our pressure numbers - and most understand why.

What's confusing to me is why you continue to post here. What's your agenda?

You obviously spend a lot of time reading and researching but your overall knowledge and comprehension of what you read is severely lacking.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can get behind this. Like an excuse you take responsibility for

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Dude this may be all the Montauk beers I’ve had today but your post has me ready to run thru a wall

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just got back from New Orleans so I'm still feeling a residual buzz myself

Really, really weird take. Bama won titles in 2011 and 2012, which in your analogy would be 2019 and 2020 for us. Honestly, Roquan and Atkins were the players we missed the most from 2017, and it’s not really close. We missed Chubb and Michel mostly for leadership reasons, although I’m sure they would’ve helped otherwise as well. We were still the number 3 team in offensive efficiency last year.

As for the Texas game, games are games man. Need I remind you that you guys were looking pretty shaky early in the year almost losing to A&M and Syracuse. There are reasons for that, but we aren’t using excuses right? You have to look at stuff holistically, and frankly we weren’t far last year. The main things holding us back on the field were LB play and DL not helping them out.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner , I think another big miss for us was John Atkins. That guy helped keep Roquan clean. Until Davis got in there last year, we didn’t have a comparable D-lineman.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️. That’ll teach me to pay better attention!

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@clemtiger why did you drop your @a_rattler and @innercity accounts and start posting as a Clemson fan? Just curious.....