Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

MEMORIAL DAY, A VIETNAM VETERAN’S PERSPECTIVE

AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

50 years ago I was halfway through a tour of duty at Phu Bai Combat Base in northern I Corps. In May of 1969, the brass decided to assault a NVA stronghold in the Ashau Valley called Dong Ap Bia Mountain about 25 miles west of Phu Bai and a mile from the Laotian border. The 101st Airborne attacked for 10 days and finally took the mountain. I remember being on perimeter guard and seeing the medevac choppers bringing in the wounded and dead. The wounded were inside the choppers while the dead were hanging by ropes, unfortunately, a sight I can’t forget. US losses were 72 dead and 372 wounded on a hill to be renamed Hamburger Hill. 2 weeks later, the brass decided to leave the mountain.

Another visual I can’t forget was seeing body bags a hundred feet long and stacked 2-3 high like cordwood outsides a mortuary company at the north end of the runway in Danang, being readied for shipment home.

My thoughts and prayers to all the men and women who died in service to their country. And also to the families they left behind.

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

Bless you Anderson Dawg and all your bothers whe served in that unpopular war and still suffer from it.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you and all our veterans for your service.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you and thank you for sharing. Have heard much about that particular battle.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agent Orange took way too many lives. Your brother-in-law is a hero and he should be remembered as such on Memorial Day. Best wishes!

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you @AndersonDawg for sharing such a powerful story. So many of us just have no idea.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you @AndersonDawg for sharing and for your service.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You and all who have served in the military have my undying respect and gratitude. God bless you and your families and Thanks for your service!

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've read many books about the Vietnam war. In many ways it was probably the most brutal Americans have ever faced, with the notable exception of our Pacific Theatre campaign in WWII. The environmental conditions in both theaters of battle were exceptionally difficult. We never lost a sustained battle in Vietnam, but we lost the war for a variety of reasons. Unfortunate, indeed.

We thank all of our Vets for their supreme sacrifices and dedication to our country.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My stepdad passed away from pancreatic cancer about 15 years ago. He served in Vietnam on a tank. Never talked about it much at all, but I've seen pictures he brought back with him. He was a smoker so we've never suspected the cancer to be caused by something from over there. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to all who have served

• dawgfantipdawgfantip Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I say it every time i see a veteran hat or bumper sticker, and every single time i wish for a way to show how much i really mean it. Thank you all for your service to this country. It will never be enough but it's all i have.

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gratitude and honor to all those that have lost their lives in service, and the families of those brave souls.