Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Brisket and/or Hamburger Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Meatlovers arise!! You have a choice today as it is both National Brisket Day and National Hamburger Day. One could, of course, find a way to enjoy both in the same day. If you had a choice, best burger ever or best brisket ever, what might you choose? I think I'd go with the brisket, if only because I have fewer opportunities to enjoy that treat. You?

Comments

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm honestly not a brisket guy. I'd love to try one of the really good places in Texas but in the deep south I stick to pork.

Wish I'd known about burger day but I had some great ones Sunday night!

• Henley79Henley79 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭ Junior

Combine both! One of the best burgers I've had, was made from ground brisket.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you're near Atlanta, you can get cross both off with one dish. Go to Fox Bros Bar-B-Q and get the Fox Bros "Burger" -- Brisket on a bun with bacon, tomato, onion, pickles and pimento cheese.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now THAT is the kind of either/and thinking I like! Kudos Henly!!!

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love a good brisket. Of course, love a good burger too but those are easier to come by. Best burger I've had recently is at Stockyard at Marietta Square.

Are there train tracks running by that place? If so, it may have been the first place friends ever took me in the "city" when I moved to Carrollton. That was back in '81 so I can't recall too clearly the name of the place. But I do recall the RR tracks.

edited May 2019

Yeah, train tracks are actually just a storefront down (next to a pretty good sushi/thai place called Thaicoon). But I think Stockyard's only been there about 3-4 years, it's fairly new, at least on the Square.

Is there a very large bar in that vicinity. This place was pretty big.

There are several large bars nearby like Hemingway's and Johnnie McCracken but like most places on the Square, the restaurant itself is fairly small. Here's an image I found online.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dear hubby is allergic to red meat so no brisket or hamburger for me. I hope the rest of you enjoy this day.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Local burger shack offers a miss piggy, 6oz burger with pulled pork, slaw, and Carolina sauce. Off the chain good !

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The wife had a lamb and brisket burger at Beauty & Essex in NYC this weekend and said it was the best she’s ever had. Hard to beat a good brisket.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Scoot bro I hear ya. I like brisket and enjoy all types of Q from different parts, but there is a saying down here in TN “ if you want brisket head to Texas real southern Q is pork.”

• cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While this is true, I've gotten to where I enjoy BBQ beef more than pork.

For burgers I use a combo of short ribs, brisket and ground. Really good stuff

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

I enjoy both. But I can get a 10 lb pork butt for around $16 to $17. A 10 lb brisket is around $60 and they rarely ever go on sale.....

The local Kroger had a sale not to long ago where it was buy one butt and get one free. They weren’t the best looking butts but shoot I got almost 18lbs of meat for right under 20 bucks. It was like 19.37 or something. Usually hit my butcher up, but I couldn’t pass on that deal. They turned out pretty decent

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

Interesting. This is not criticism, but if you substitute chuck for the ground, then you know exactly what is in your concoction. Note: most ground is chuck, but this way you know for sure. Oh, and you have better control of the fat.

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When visiting Maine (lobster country) last year we had BBQ combo sandwich of brisket and pork meat - best sandwich ever! Smokey’s just outside of Mt Desert Island & Acadia National Park.