Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A Nice Double National Day Today

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What a nice confluence today. Don't get to use that word, confluence, all that often. It is National Doughnut Day and we've had some deep and meaningful discussions about our favorite donuts. My favorite is the good old Krispy Kreme. However, it is also National Chocolate Ice Cream Day. So along with my scoop I prefer a nice cake donut of some sort, maybe even a Dunkin Donut or two. How about you? It'd be a nice way to start the weekend.

It is also National Oklahoma Day but I'm sure you'll excuse me if I choose not to celebrate the Sooner state.

Comments

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Krispy Kreme hands down is the best doughnut but the Dunkin Donuts blueberry holes are very good as well.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Ingles was offering a free donut today when you checked out. Thought that was mighty nice of them.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

dunkin will give you a free donut with coffee purchase today, but i'ts not a snazzy one...just a plain one. and unless I'm at KK I'm not having a non-snazzy donut

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Combining donuts and ice cream holds no joy for me Chocolate and strawberry IC need to be consumed singly or In carefully thought out combinations. In case you were curious.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So there was a doughnut thread not that long ago: I'm not a big doughnut guy to be honest but the talk on here got me looking at some of the places around the Atlanta area. I knew in theory that doughnuts, like cupcakes, had gotten gourmeted out but I had no idea how many places were around. I'll do some recs sometime maybe but a couple of thought:

I'd NEVER been a cake donut guy. I had apparently never had a good one. I'm now a big fan of the sour cream old fashioned. Like any truly good food...simple done well can be great.

That being said. I've now had a $3.50 donut. Brioche dough with a creme anglaise(I think) filling and torched brulee style sugar on top. Not something I might ever eat again but interesting.

Some of the gormet places are good but only if they ADD to an already good product. A couple of trendy places in Buckhead disappointed in this regard. Covering up a crappy doughnut with a glaze is no bueno.

Some of the best places are in random **** malls or next to gas stations.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Simple done well can be great" very true. Not a fan of too many things jazzed up. Like the sour creme old fashion also, glaze or not

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My church serves the volunteers donuts every Sunday morning and since Krispy Kreme is just above the church they went to them about making the donuts every Sunday but Krispy Kreme told them they couldn't provide that many donuts each Sunday and sent us to Dunkin. So Krispy Kreme does them for our middle and high school volunteers and Dunkin makes them for the babies and elementary volunteers. I may need to change where I volunteer since I like Krispy Kreme better. Panera provides our bagels and they are good as well.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@JoelSidneyKelly can you see that a few boxes of those are present when our recruits take an OV???