Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Peanut Butter Cookie Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who doesn't love a good peanut butter cookie? It may not be your favorite though? What is? Do you like milk with your cookies?

Comments

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh man, now I have to go home and make peanut butter cookies tonight.

Sounds good though.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like peanut butter cookies. Favorite would be these chocolate, peanut butter, oatmeal no-bakes that I used to demolish every time my mother made them. I don't do milk but if I have a sleeve of double stuffed Oreo's I'll dunk em in there no doubt

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Peanut butter cookies are smack dab in the middle of acceptability in their baked goods category.

Not as universally beloved as chocolate chip but rises above the disdain shown to oatmeal raisin, the cookie version of the decoy trap.

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is what I remember from my youth. I guess this was a take off on A Gene Wilder Willie Wonka thing. I ate way too many of these things. I get queasy just thinking about them. Like the way I feel when I think of that Captain Morgan spiced rum.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Peanut Butter cookies are fine but like @GeoffDawg said not the best. If I'm going to indulge in a cookie it's probably chocolate chip all day. I'm currently working on a cooking blog that's partly focused on healthier lifestyle/cooking techniques and one of the things I've been testing is how to bake using less sugar/with alternative sweeteners, so I've been baking a lot.

So far my experience has been pretty good, particularly with new combos of Stevia mixed with a little real sugar that are available now. But a peanut butter cookie(homemade) would probably be a drop cookie, and while the flavor of the sweeteners has gotten quite good, the amount of sugar DOES affect the texture/spread in the oven.

I have an old recipe for Chocolate Chip cookies from scratch that is often requested and is referred to as the "Better Than Sex Cookies" in my group of friends: some years ago my buddy and his wife were having a housewarming party/cookout and I decided to try this recipe I'd found and took some and put them out. Some drunk girl who was a friend of a friend of someone starting chowing down and loudly proclaimed "OMG, these cookies are better than sex!", much to the chagrin of her bf who was standing right next to her. They are good, but not THAT good.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

care to share any recipes with us ?

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Well, I'm still pretty far into the weeds in refining my recipes. I've actually gotten pretty good at subbing for sweeteners, but I've yet to find decent substitutes for real fat(butter, veg oil, eggs) that are even passable, and am not really sure I will.

With the internet and the number of alternative diets that are big right now(keto, vegan, paleo, low sugar/diabetic, etc.) there's some crazy ideas out there, like using chia seeds or even the drained liquid from canned chickpeas(I really heard this the other day on a podcast) as a sub for eggs in baking. I'm not getting into all that just yet. One idea that sounded good to add body to muffins and such was unsweetened applesauce: it CAN add some moisture but applesauce even unsweetened has a lot of sugar and it's no comparison to fat.

Anyway, I could go on far too long about this stuff lol. One single tip I'll give is that I really DO think that cutting down on extra sugar is a non debatable good thing healthwise: not saying give it up but if you look at the added sugar in stuff you buy, you'll be amazed at how many random foods have tons of extra sugar. Stuff like pasta sauce and enriched white bread among many others. My philosophy is to to make the sugar I eat actually count..ie..it makes a cookie taste good as opposed to a food scientist figured out adding extra sugar to something often not even a dessert makes it sell better.

I'll try to find my BTS choc chip cookie recipe and post it. It's decidedly NOT healthy but effing good.