Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Iron Skillet Cooking and Recipes

No offense to those who cook with those fancy devices, but I thought I would start a thread about the one cooking utensil that's been around for hundreds of years.....the cast iron skillet. I cook a lot with a CIS and word love to share and have others share, some recipes and tips for cooking with one.

Tonight I did Jambalaya in the skillet. Simple and not from scratch, but tasty. I used a smoke sausage that I saw and thought I would try it. I usually use andouille sausage, but thought this might be worth trying,

First I cut up a Conecuh Hot and Spicy into small medallions and sauteed / seared with a half of chopped Vidalia onion.

Added a can of Rotel and simmered for about 3 minutes.

Added Zatarin's Jambalaya mix per the instructions on the box

. Simmered for about 15 minutes until the rice started to thicken the broth.

After simmering about 15 minutes, place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. Cook for and additional 10 to 15 minutes with a stir and you may have to add just a small amount of water for consistency.

Final product.....

Comments

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

love my cast iron skillet. used it tonight and last night. I hope to get lucky one day and find and old Griswold or Wagner or something at a sale

and I am constantly talking myself out of buying one of the new fancy brands like Field Company or Finex. a fool and his money, as they say

always looking for new recipes to use in mine so great thread!

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks good ghost. My wife has a CIS that she says has been "seasoned", what ever that means, and you best not mess with it

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Had mine for a little over a year and love it. I cook almost everything in it. Proud to say water hasn't ever touched it. Usually just wipe it down when it cools and throw it back in the oven.

@Bankwalker will be proud to know I only paid $15 for it on amazon

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I coached at UWA in Livingston, AL, the folks there were nuts over Conecuh sausage. Never quite liked it as much as they did, but being a guest I held up my end.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Here's the cleaning trick I use and especially on a messy cook. Half fill the skillet with water. Place on cooktop and heat until water gets almost to a boil. Use a wooden spatula to scrap while water is hot. Rinse with hot water and dry. Wipe with cooking oil or spray with a generous coat of cooking spray. My skillets have been great for many a year using this method.

• jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Learned over the years to hide the damned thing when the wife is mad.

@RPMdawg , a seasoned skillet is one that has been well "oiled" and cooked in for a while. Before you ever cook in a CIS, it needs to be "seasoned." A few ways to do it, but the most common is to smear a generous coat of Crisco over the whole skillet. Wipe the excess off the outer side. Put the skillet in the oven and bake it for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Turn off and let it cool. Wipe down the outside good with paper towels. Fry bacon in it as your first treat and it will break it in the way Grandma would be proud of....

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll admit that I'm conflicted on cast iron. I'm southern so I know I need one. But in my younger and more irresponsible days I bought several only to badly mistreat them. They do require a bit of maintenance that frankly I neglected. Been meaning to pick up another one though.

edited June 2019

Yea wife described something like that ghost. I pretty much just eat the stuff that comes from our kitchen. There's a particular pan for each thing. If I'm wanting something to eat , but dont really want to fix it myself, I just intentionally grab the wrong pan/pot and she instantly takes over. She really doesnt want me in there anyway. Its her kingdom

@scooterdawg the only real maintenance is to season it properly, clean it after use and make sure it is completely dry after cleaning. Keep it dry while being stored so it doesn't rust and you will be good to go.

Took me a while to perfect cornbread until I read that the skillet should be hot before you put the mix in. Heat it for 10 minutes prior and when you put the mix in it sears it making that crusty bottom and allows the rest to evenly cook through.....

Do that and it turns into a weapon commonly used on husbands' heads.......

Speaking of bacon and not trying to get off topic, if anyone is ever in Birch Run, MI, try Tony's I-75 restaurant. 12 bucks for a meal of bacon, eggs, hash browns and toast and a drink.
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

1 large box Zatarain's New Orleans style red beans and rice.

1 lb peeled round shrimp

1lb frozen 3 color pepper and onion strips.

table spoon minced garlic

4 table spoons whole butter.

1 ounce dark extra virgin olive oil.

Boil the red beans and rice using instructions on the box. When close to done turn heat on low, add the minced garlic and leave to simmer.

In a large iron skillet add the butter and olive oil. heat then add the peppers and onions, I use the frozen Pic Sweet mix. Cook on high, don't overcook, the veggies should be firm like Chinese stir fry.

I use frozen de-veined and precooked shrimp, just boil till thawed.

Use the beans and rice as the base. Add The peppers and onions on top, don't mix though. Add the shrimp on top of the Peppers and Onions.

Serve. I like mine with tea or beer and yellow corn bread. I use just a bit of hot sauce , let each person choose whether to use hot sauce.