Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Juneteenth

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Juneteenth celebrates the end of slavery in the US. Lots of historical event surround this day. Check it out sometime, especially if you are a history buff.

It's also National Martini Day - what is your preference? Shaken not stirred? Dirty? Other?

Comments

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting, haven't heard of Juneteenth before.

Regarding Martinis - ketel one, no vermouth, one stuffed olive, shaken and served ice cold.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw the Juneteenth celebration in the Athens Banner Herald this past weekend and was curious about it. Thanks @donm for the info.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've never had a martini, which is saying something as I used to be a conoisseur of all things alcohol for many years, including ****. I never liked Gin though.

So @GeoffDawg does the single olive add any flavor or do you just like chilled, slightly diluted ****? in a martini glass? If so, I completely understand, I'm all about the little things, just curious.

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

@scooterdawg it adds a bit of olive flavor to the **** but not a lot. The benefit is that a chilled and blue cheese stuffed olive that's been soaking in a martini glass is simply delicious.

Edit: v o d k a is a banned word apparently.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

From my serving days way back when, I can't remember one v o d k a martini drinker that wanted vermouth -- orderred extra dry or just waived over the glass.

For the occasional gin martini, then a little dry vermouth is in order. I guess it has something to do with the fact that gin has a stronger flavor.

As for my preference, pretty basic. Tito's by the shot. With a cold beer on the side.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ultimate Martini Recipe:

One part Grey Goose ****

One part Bombay Sapphire Gin

Whiff of Dry Vermouth

Shaken in ice, served with one large garlic stuffed green olive

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GeoffDawg Oh, the evil v o d k a. Must be banned.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy Birthday WC. I hope you have a great day.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Dville.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Indeed. Happy Birthday, @WCDawg!
  • scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy birthday WC..turning 69 again? I kid. Hope ya have had a good day!

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Happy Birthday WC, have a martini !
  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Happy Birthday WC!! You know we all love you here...well...almost all...

Ghost, you're a rascal, now stay off my lawn, and get a haircut while you're at it.

Seriously, thanks everybody.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

By any chance is the "W" in WC for "Walter" .............JK.....Have a Great BD!

The W is for William, The C will remain a mystery.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy bday @WCDawg . Have a martini