Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Question in regards to our TE recruiting. We're a run-first team and while I would like a little more balance, the run game will remain important. The TEs have been a big part of that run game. (Say what you will about our TE usage in the passing game, but there's no denying Nauta and Jeb have been excellent blockers.) However, Washington and Gilbert aren't that type of TE. I want these two players, but it feels like we're getting away from the type of TE that works in our system.

Thoughts?

• Options
    JayCrowJayCrow Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, let me get this straight. WRs & TEs don't see the field on Kirby's teams unless they're effective blockers but Gilbert & Washington are being recruited as receivers only?

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    There is really no reason to expect that Washington and Gilbert won't be good blockers. Especially since both probably want to play in the NFL.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Woerner is not a straight ahead blocker but I think he is great at blocking when he's in motion.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Piggybacking on what Conner said, I think people are sleeping on what Woerner could do IF the TEs are used differently under Coley. From what I remember he was more of a WR in HS who was a bit of a tweener maybe as far as moving to TE. His use at UGA so far is really a compliment to his working on his blocking but I’ve heard guys who watched him in HS who say he’s definitely a better athlete and probably better pass catcher than Nauta was. Just not built like Isaac. 

I say sleeping on him because people are already talking about needing to get Seither involved early as an offensive weapon. Or am I wrong and everyone is assuming he’ll ball out this season so that’s why he’s not talked about much?
  • Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @Kasey , I don’t know if you ever watch the coaching broadcast on ESPN, but they were super high on Woerner in the Rose Bowl. 

@texdawg , spot on as usual. 
  • Options
    thegreatwhite1thegreatwhite1 Posts: 93 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2019
    Nauta ran a 4.9. No wonder they didn’t utilize him more in the passing game. Wash and AG have the skill set to expand the offense at the TE position. I’ve got faith in the staff. There’s only one ball to go around 
  • Options
    VarsityVarsity Posts: 173 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here are additional videos from Tuesday OL vs DL.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @Varsity if they chose to do so they would let him know they were moving in a different direction.  
  • Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @icecolddawg there aren’t any videos in your post.
  • Options
    VarsityVarsity Posts: 173 ✭✭✭ Junior

Unpopular opinion: I would sacrifice Ringo for Tim Smith and Dexter right now (though its completely hypothetical as sacrificing a DB to get 2 DL would never happen). We are more in need of elite DL guys than DBs with so many exhausting there eligibility over the next 2 years. Who else would take that sacrifice?

This discussion has been closed.