Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Iron Skillet Cooking and Recipes

Comments

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Nice, looks great and I’m guessing it gives you the perfectly even cook. Might have to give it a shot if I can produce those results!
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @Acrum21 that looks delicious but i am not that advanced
  • brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great strategy, but be sure you don't put cold water in a hot skillet. It can actually cause it to crack. Either put hot water in the hot skillet, or let the skillet cool some before putting lukewarm water in it. Scrape while boiling, wipe clean and store. DO NOT EVER USE SOAP unless you want a skillet with less seasoning than an Ohio State starting QB

• RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Sous vide steaks going down...dogs and burgers for the kids.  Fillets for the grown folks.
  • DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg

quick ?

What type bag are you using ?

I'm running low on my Food Savers and getting ready to re-order. The one in your pic looks more substantial than the ones I've been using.

• DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

Anyone have an old unwanted cast iron skillet? I have 2 that I restored. Here's my recipe for cornbread :)

Indian Cornbread

9/17/2015

Cook time: 60-75 minutes

Serves: 10-12

Ingredients

• 1 ½ cups corn meal (I use stone ground yellow self-rising corn meal and sift it, If NOT self-rising, then add 3 teaspoons of baking powder because the corn meal is NOT self-rising -Duh)
    • 3 eggs
    • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 cup buttermilk
    • 1 ½ cup graded Extra Sharp cheddar cheese
    • 1 medium sweet onion, chopped or diced (about 1 cup. I use Vidalia when in season)
    •  ¼ to ½ cup diced hot peppers (I use Red Chili Peppers)
    • 14-15 oz. of canned yellow corn (if you can’t find fresh yellow corn-on-the-cob)

Instructions

Beat eggs; add oil & buttermilk. Stir/beat well & stir-in remaining ingredients. I like to cook bacon in either my 8” or 10” cast iron skillet, pour out the grease, and leave the coat of bacon grease in the hot skillet. Next, pour the mixed cornbread ingredients into the hot skillet. Bake in cast iron skillet or frying pan @ 350 degrees for 50-75 minutes or until the edge is brown.

Insert a toothpick into the middle of the cornbread and remove it. If the toothpick is clean, the cornbread is done. Let it set for 15-30 minutes before cutting (I use a pizza cutter). Enjoy J

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    For some reason , my food saver quick vacuuming. I believe it to be caused by it sticking up some marinade before it stopped. Any clue how to fix it or just have to order another?
  • tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have two sous vide machines, love them. And I recently upgraded my vacuum sealer to from the 22xx model to the 5480

for those with a sous vide I recommend the following sites for good info:

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

another link is not working

but it is sous vide everything on youtube

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Forgot to add this vignette/tip. As to using the CIS on the grill, I had a grill that allowed me to put the handle outside the grill with the lid down. That gave me more space on the grill surface. I grilled fajitas (skirt steak with store bought fajita marinade - no longer made - but garlic, lime juice and cilantro comes close), then when done, I would take the meat off grill, slice it, then put the slices in the CIS (with the aforementioned O & P) on the grill to let the O&P "soak up" some of the flavor/juices. Then take your treasure to the table for a good dig-in. Delicioso, amigos.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Super easy dude. Just brown whatever meat you want, we did some wild hog sausage, sauté whatever veggies you're feeling, liberal amount of cheese, scramble up some eggs and 25-30 mins on 350 and viola

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Best thing in an iron skillet..... corn bread 
  • WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    When I can't use the grill, I use cast iron for my steaks.  I get an amazing crust with the cast iron.  
  • Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate