Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What happened to So Cal? Why did that program become also rans?

JamesTwitJamesTwit Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In days gone by getting recruits like Milton out of So Cal would be nothing but a pipe dream. Sitting in the middle of the largest recruiting pool in the nation USC used to be a contender every year (for all you young Pups who don't know), Heisman winners, etc. Now they're doing good to field a bowl worthy team every year basically and can't win the PAC 10.. And it's been that way for years now. So what happened?

Comments

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Development (including S&C) and coaching. They still got players on that team.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Its a good question.

They used to be the only game in town. When LA had no NFL teams. USC was king of LA's team. But that has certainly changed.

I dont follow them but I know they had some issues with the NCAA etc. The NCAA would love nothing more than for USC to be relevant again. Them in a title game would have the West Coast watching too.

They get the right guy coaching there and it can change for them pretty quick.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Because they don’t spend money on coaching. They hire names or people who will say yes, not program builders. When Urban is there next year it will all change back to the Pete Carroll days

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pete Carroll Reggie Bush opened the school and area for poaching

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

USC still has players though. They've recruited well, but I agree with your overall point. I don't think they currently have the infrastructure in place to be elite.

IF C UM goes there, it will definitely mean that they've committed to doing so. We'll see though.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Pac 12 network has killed that conference. They have no ability to keep elite West Coast talent or bring elite East Coast talent bc of it. Need to make it more accessible to entire country. It has put all schools in a much worse situation, bc they are losing valuable TV revenue.

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh, what could have been had Ed Orgeron been hired after the 2013 season.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very good question. Cali is loaded with athletes of sizes and shapes both male and female because of the huge population.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

USC has a history of winning, getting put on probation, being mediocre, winning again, getting put on probation again, being mediocre again, rinse and keep repeating.

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They fell apart when Pete Carrol left. Add to that the recruiting scandal and it left them with a black eye.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Pac 12 conference doesn’t commit to sports especially like football like the SEC so schools don’t take it seriously. USC needs to tear down the program and start over. Really commit to football financially and personnel wise

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

USC is the same as it has been for generations. Read my last post, it's gospel. USC has always won when it cheated and it as always been mediocre after getting caught.

• JamesTwitJamesTwit Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Some good responses here. What Tex and WC said is what I was guessing. They have always cheated and gotten burned several times and are not willing, yet, to go back down that road again. AND spend the new level of huge dollars. But they probably eventually will.

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well they are currently pushing legislation to let players get paid for their likeness in Cali...MAybe they are trying to avoid all the scandals? Haha and just out right pay kids moving forward?... makes bagmen strategies a lot easier lol

even though it would ban all Cali schools from the playoffs I bet it would attract some kids to want to play there...

just a random thought i had

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The PAC 12 can’t commit to sports like the SEC/ACC/BIG10 bc they don’t/haven’t had the save level of yearly TV Revenue because the PAC 12 network is so messed up. They thought when they made it that everyone across the country would pay up in order to stay up until 1:00 A.M. watching a couple 3-9 teams play. While you can watch BIG 10/BIG 12/ACC/SEC games for no additional charge. The way those conferences generate the revenue Ian off of ratings, so companies have an idea of how many people will see their commercials, this sets the price Pernos 30 second commercial. The pac 12 can’t generate ratings, because #1 you have to pay to watch, so you have already limited you ratings, #2 you have the constant battle with being 3 hours behind the standard east coast time where the majority of College Football fans live. All this contributes to the SEC/BIG 10/ACC having way more money and thus better facilities, and with the ability to steal West Coast recruits because of the accessibility of things such as FaceTime and various other social media apps. Now with how relaxed the NCAA is becoming soon they will probably allow schools to start paying for families of players travel costs to and from games, and that will only further widen the gap.

• paulpaulpaulpaul Posts: 102 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm going to blame it on the

• DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think alot of schools tried to ride their name and nostalgia too long....USC, Notre Dame, Miami, Nebraska, Penn ST.....etc. Eventually, recruits started saying, 'You got the big name and history, but you don't have the facilities and stuff now. That's why bama and UGA and Clemson are on top right now. And recruits see that.

Some are bouncing back....Notre Dame hasn't fallen off the map completely and Miami is making strides. It'll take time, but if they invest the money to upgrade, they'll get back in the game too.