Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Hot Dog Day/National Lottery Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Historically, lotteries date back to the 15th century. While early lotteries funded village needs, they also were vital to strengthening defenses. Money raised would also feed and clothe the poor. According to Random Riches author, Manfred Zollinger, one of the oldest lotteries dates back to 1441 in Bruges, Belgium.

In early lotteries, merchants paid for the chance to win money prizes. Often, the grand prizes included the tax farm on the wijnscrooderschap (wine transporters). These early Renaissance lotteries would grant one grand prize winner opportunity to own the tax farm and quality control of the wine. Amazingly, a lucky winner controlled the collection of wine taxes and maintained the quality of the wines. Understandably, merchants gained a lucrative position if they won this lottery.

In the United States, early lotteries paid for cannons during the American Revolution. They also raised money to pave roads up and down the East Coast. Today, lotteries are state-owned and operated. The funds they gather support government programs and the communities the

What's the best hot dog you've ever eaten? Was it better than this one? 

On May 31, 2012, a world record was set for the most expensive hot dog. The “California Capitol City Dawg” sold for $145.49 at Capitol Dawg in Sacramento, California. The “California Capitol City Dawg” features:

·        A grilled 18″ all-beef, in natural casing frank from Chicago

·        served on a fresh-baked herb and oil focaccia roll spread with white truffle butter, then grilled

·        topped with whole grain mustard from France, garlic and herb mayonnaise

·        sauteed chopped shallots, organic mixed baby greens, maple syrup

·        marinated/fruitwood smoked uncured bacon from New Hampshire

·        chopped tomatoes, sweetened dried cranberries, chopped tomato

·        expensive moose cheese from Sweden

·        basil olive oil/pear-cranberry-coconut balsamic vinaigrette and ground peppercorn

·        Proceeds from the sale of each 3 lb. super dog were donated to the Shriners Hospitals for Children.

A factoid for you: 7-Eleven sells the most grilled hot dogs in North America – 100 million annually.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

Crif dogs in nyc is pretty great. Also there’s a speakeasy hiding in the place...shhh

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I spend too much time thinking about what I would do if I won the lottery considering I never play

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So basically this is National 3/4 Of the People Waiting In Line At A QT/RaceTrac Day: Lottery tickets and gas station hot dogs seem to go hand in hand.

I'm not a big hot dog guy. I don't mind one now and then but it's not something I seek out. Varsity Chili dog is alright if ya want to cleanse your system now and then.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've thought about it. If the cash in hand is large enough, then most of my time would be on giving the greater portion away - charity. If not large, then I would salt some away to pay property taxes and health care and travel (main items, not including "lifestyle maintenance"), after I buy and furnish a nice place to live and a solid, but not crazy, ride. 'Course there are plenty of people that have won several millions and p#ssed it away fairly quickly.

But with a large number, likely charity would be in the cards for most thoughtful people, even those with beady-eyed children.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Reminds of when I used to work in MidTown and lived in East Cobb. Left work and decided to grab a bite before I went home. Stopped at the Varsity for a quick sit dow to 2 Chili Dogs and some onion rings. It hit the spot and more. Got back on the road and sat in that 75 N traffic at rush hour. I was lucky to make it to Mt. Paran Rd. for an emergency "green apple two step" bathroom stop. 35 minutes till a "clean out" tops. Was the last time I did that........