Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Oh Boy!! National Daquiri Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Daiquiri is a family of cocktails whose main ingredients are rum, citrus juice (typically lime) and sugar.

Tasting of sunshine and beaches, it might be hard to believe how the daiquiri came to be. Back in 1898, men blasted away in the mines of a small community off the coast of Cuba during the Spanish-American War. One American engineer, Jennings Cox, supervised a mining operation located in a village named Daiquiri. Every day after work Cox and his employees would gather at the Venus bar. Then one day Cox mixed up Bacardi, lime, and sugar in a tall glass of ice. He named the new beverage after the Daiquiri mines, and the drink soon became a staple in Havana. Eventually, someone added shaved ice and sometimes lemons or both lemons and limes were used.

In 1909, Admiral Lucius W. Johnson, a U.S. Navy medical officer, tried Cox’s drink and subsequently introduced it to the Army and Navy Club in Washington, D.C. The popularity of the Daiquiri then increased over the next few decades."

My favorite drink while at officer basic training at Ft. Sam Houston. Haven't had one in a long while. Might have to re-acquaint myself today.

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

This is a good idea. Been a while since I had one myself

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Much like "National Bourbon Day", this is a day I can fully get behind!

Thanks for sharing @donm!

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you're like me you'll need to keep the Pepcid handy.

Love those limey drinks but can't stomach the acid that goes with them.