Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Be Someone Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On July 21, National Be Someone Day challenges each of us to take ten seconds to make a difference in a child’s life. 

What can be done in ten seconds? We can shift gears or water a plant. We can hear or tell a bad joke. In ten seconds, we can change our minds and after doing so say a prayer of thanks. When we walk into a room, in that time, we can register the pain in someone’s eyes and begin to provide comfort. We can praise and honor someone who deserves it.

We can also commit to report child abuse. On July 21st, take the pledge to be the person to make a difference in a child’s life. Most importantly, be someone prepared to report when a child trusts you enough to tell you they’ve been abused.

This is such a HUGE problem across the planet - do what you can.

It's also National Junk Food Day and also National Ice Cream Day. What's your favorite "junk" food? Favorite ice cream flavor. Interesting history of ice cream - it's a much older treat than I thought .

Comments

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not to tell ya how to do your thing @donm but IMO you kinda undersold the Ice Cream Day part lol.

Ice cream is definitely older than you'd think. If I'm not mistaken there are even stories going pretty far back of kings or such having guys bring ice down from the tops of nearby mountains to make frozen stuff. Of course Vanilla and Chocolate are New World items so probably more odd flavors back then.

It was pretty much a rich person thing until ice became widely available. The old school bucket handcrank contraptions are fun and simple but not very useful in a hot climate without freezers or blocks of ice. We hear some people call refrigerators "iceboxes" but I know I have never seen a "real" one that was basically a big cooler you that you bought blocks of ice to put in.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife was celebrating ice cream day for breakfast w/o knowing that it was NICD. I let her know and she continued celebrating this eve.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I need some advice. Cherries have been insanely good this summer. If i heated some cherries to a mush so I could mix them with the makings of homemade chocolate ice cream, would that work and be good?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Also I’ve been to the Ben and Jerry’s factory. Tour is a little underwhelming. And I was sad bc I’d had every flavor they had for sale

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess I should have asked if it will work the way I'm thinking it would or if I need to try something different with the cherries?

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IDK about putting them in chocolate ice cream as most recipes are basically vanilla but I don't see why not? I was looking at a few recipes and as far as prepping the cherries some just had them pitted and chopped and added to the ice cream base and others had them cooked down with a bit of sugar like a compote and then added.