Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Podcast Pandemonium

scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited July 2019 in Off Topic

I listen to lots of podcasts beside DawgNationDaily...amazing I know. I wanted to start a thread talking about what we're listening to and rec individual episodes. Also thoughts on paid content/various podcast apps/how or when you listen.

I listen to DND(podcast) depending on topic and guests. I'll usually listen to a Sentell appearance. Nothing against DND but it's tough to come up with content EVERY day. I mostly listen in the car like I would sportstalk as opposed to other pods that I will save for the right time. Anyone else look forward to certain shows and/or pay more actual attention to some moreso than others?

Anyway: For now if you're a child of the 80s I recommend the newest Rewatchables on Top Gun. If you don't know the pod it's a Bill Simmons/Ringer one where people talk about a classic/cult movie. Hit or miss at times but I liked this one:

Disclaimer since people are on edge: This is an OFF TOPIC discussion in that category.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I enjoyed this episode...but certain personalities are better left off. Made me wanna watch Top Gun again. I have an Iceman morale patch that resembles his flight helmet that is pretty boss

If you like history, I would recommend Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I listen to Stuff You Should Know. Episodes are about an hour which is perfect for a nice long walk in the evenings.

Also listen to Clark Howard's podcast on a regular basis while commuting.

Used to do Joe Rogan but not as much anymore.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I actually liked this crew but I can understand why lots probably don’t like Concepcion and/or Mallory. I was a fan of their GoT pod but can see where I’d get sick quickly. Sean Fennessey is the nogo for me..always getting offended at everything.

I don't mind Concepcion...he at least knows what he's talking about

Mallory gets on my nerves and I doubt her expertise beyond nerd stuff. Starbuck best callsign? please.

Fennessey does come off like a blowhard who goes this route because he couldn't be a pretentious auteur so he has to talk about them instead

Chris Ryan used to annoy me, but he's grown on me in the 8 years since Bill shoved him into my life

Obviously I listen to several Dawg related podcasts besides DND and was interested to see what others think about them:

UGASportslive: Everyone's favorite Athens Ford/Academia Brewery/Garage Door Company..ie..businesses owned by HUGE Dawg fans advertisement featuring Coach Donnan. Donnan makes it interesting as he will actually drop some unsolicited knowledge/tidbits. He apparently walks by the practice fields A LOT lol. Jake is alright, Radi is Radi.

Waiting Since Last Saturday: three guys who live in Athens, 2 alums and Will Leitch, Illinois transplant baseball fan, Deadspin founder, and writer who married a Georgia girl and moved his family to Athens seemingly on a whim a few years back. More of a niche listen as they get into stuff other than football like best places to eat in Athens. YMMW, if you're uber-political as they may not love Trump as much as some. Not really the point of the pod but it's "free flowing" so wouldn't want anyone to get very occasionally triggered these days lol. I personally enjoy their perspective as being slightly different from the usual Xs and Os pods.

247Dawgcast: Near as I can tell this one is pretty new. Hosted by Jake Rowe, who's not particularly interesting IMO, but features the 247 Dawg guys Adams and Mansell. It being new I'm giving it a shot, but they seem to spend a lot of time bragging about how great their site, writers, and coverage are. I'm also not really sure that you really get anything that you wouldn't find on the 247 forums as those guys seem pretty stingy about dropping info for free.

Glory UGA: 2 friends and longtime Dawg fans talk football and pretty much ALL Dawg sports. I like these guys, in fact I'm actually a premium subscriber($2 a month) which is rare for me. Not saying that to shill for them, just being transparent as they put out both free and sub shows. I like their football knowledge and I like the vibe of two buddies talking ball, though IMO they can agree TOO MUCH. It's a smaller show so it's easy to reach them or submit questions. For me it's enjoyable enough to not go to the trouble of cancelling the $2 a month charge. Make of that what you will lol.

Anyone else have ones I've missed or opinions on the best Dawg pods?

Alright..here's something I thought was funny the other day:

I finally DID try a Your Pie because I wanted to see if the fast casual pizza thing was worth a crap, between it and Bron Bron's place Blaze. Your Pie was fine. Tasted decent..but it was nothing special. Would NEVER fly anywhere you can easily get a real slice. The ingredient quality probably was better, but honestly my opinion was that it was a Subway-esque experience.

So last UGASportslive in the Your Pie read, Radi actually pulls out a Subway comp...as I guess that being a good thing? I'm not against Subway per se but I can get cheap pizza anywhere and ol Radi usually seems to play up the "handmade" and "quality" aspects. But hey, I'm not the marketing genius that he is so probably all part of the master plan.

Your pie would be gone in a year or less than in nyc. But if the only pizza in your neck of the woods is places like dominos or Pizza Hut, sure

Reservoir Dogs on the Rewatchables. Simmons, Ryan, and Fennessey. I was entertained for the most part past the first 20 mins of Ryan/Fennessey establishing their bonafides and all three making sure we know how woke they are/were by having to specify that while RD was an influential movie, it was no “Do the Right Thing”.

Anyone a big Reservoir Dogs fan? I’m a big Tarantino guy and like parts of it but honestly it’s a tough watch for me. First time I ever saw it I was in college and baked out of my gourd and the ear cutting/gasoline torture and screaming/whining were a bit much for me TBH.

A dusting of torture, gore, and suffering is fine but I’m not the type to watch Saw type stuff or like that movie about the mountain climber who cuts off his own leg..maybe I’m just a wuss though lol. 🤷‍♂️

I like it, maybe not enough for that podcast though. Wish they’d be done pulp fiction since to me that’s more rewatchable

Revisiting my initial thoughts on Dawg related podcasts I've actually enjoyed the 247 Dawgcast the last two episodes. One out tonight where Adams and Mansell discuss the weekend. Perhaps it's hitting its stride or they just have more interesting stuff to talk about. 🤷‍♂️

• DawgNationDailyDawgNationDaily Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a couple recommendations...

I realize Clay Travis isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I've really enjoyed his Wins & Losses podcasts. He has interviewed a lot of folks with SEC ties -- such as Finebaum and Greg Sankey -- and they basically talk about how they got to be where they are. I listened to a bunch of these on vacation.

I also listen to a lot of golf podcasts. One that I've grown fond of lately is The Shotgun Start. It might take a little getting used to as the two speakers definitely have their own style. However, if you like golf, these guys really get into the weeds of the subject. I think it's pretty fun.

Any Solid Verbal fans around? It's never been one of my faves because it's a bit TOO inclusive for me but it is one of the OGs.

One of the WSLS guys interviewed Dan from it. Was a decent convo: talked about Eason a bit since Dan is a WC guy. He's got a semi new pod out called Sports Wars. I'd seen it before but it's a Wondery one and some of their content just has an overproduced feel to it to me.

But anyway, they(Sports Wars) are doing a six part thing on the GA/FL rivalry. I listened to the one that was out and it was only like 20 mins but it had a little interesting stuff on the way early years: and Dan was nice enough to point out the genteel nature of Georgia compared to those rednecks in Florida who didn't even found a state univ until the 1900s lol.

And @DawgNationDaily , I'll give Clay a shot. I read one of his book ages ago before he turned into the guy everyone hates and it was amusing.

• MentokMentok Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Love the Lebatard show/ podcast. The episode with Hank Azaria is one of the most entertaining things I’ve ever heard.

The new SVP and Russilo pod is also pretty good and Pardon My Take is a regular listen for me.

It’s only the first three episodes. Second half is Texas Oklahoma

edited August 2019

Might not be of interest to anyone but possibly @Kasey, but there's a Bloodsport Rewatchables out now. As in the CLASSIC JCVD movie!! With an assist from Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds.

You know I’ve only seen this once surprisingly so I’m probably gonna skip it

So this week's UGASports was pretty impressive: FROM a Your Pie location with the UGA grad founders apparently in attendance and some sort of spread laid out. There were Athens Ford reads from the Your Pie..pretty meta.

As far as Your Pie goes: hate to say it because I'm anti Bron Bron, but Blaze is better IMO. I think it might be a tiny bit cheaper. Of course pizza and particularly cheap pizza is as always very YMMV. I feel like Your Pie tries to dress up the same experience but the results aren't worth it. If you have kids and want bad wine and gelato then I guess go YP. 🤷‍♀️