Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Day - And Is A Better Choice Than Or

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

National Chicken Wing Day and National Lasagna Day. Why make a choice when you don't have to. Celebrate both. Originally called "buffalo wings", this day was proclaimed National Chicken Wing Day in 1977 by the city of Buffalo, NY. We've already discussed favorite recipes and such so all that is left is to enjoy them. Unless of course you feel like sharing your favorite recipe (again) or where you get your favorite wings.

Being raised in same house as my immigrant Italian grandmother, lasagna holds a special place in my heart (and my palate). Big family dinners where the men would eat themselves into short term comas are still memorable. She could do some serious cooking. What is your favorite Italian dish? Do you have a favorite Italian restaurant?

If you ever find yourself stuck near the Gainesville/Ocala area, try Antonio's. A wonderful chef, an immigrant from Italy, who will come out from the kitchen and speak with you and cooks food remarkably like my grand mother's. Fortunately I live about a 5 minute drive from his restaurant.

Enjoy.

Comments

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

Best wings - Cafe Hot Wing by the Big Chicken in Marietta. A couple buddies of mine have been trying to reverse engineer their sauce recipe for years. Closest we've come is to determine that they use a commercially available hot sauce (Louisiana Hot Sauce or Crystal) as a base.

However, one other often overlooked attribute when it comes to good wings is the size. Common mistake is thinking bigger is always better. You have to temper the size of the wings so that they crisp through evenly and thoroughly but also have enough meat for a good bite and chew.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me a large segment of the population is being ignored, we deserve a National A-hole Day.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm getting close to my one year anniversary of reporting these National Days and I haven't even seen a hint of such a day. Of course, whoever designates these days appointed themselves as the deciders so there is really nothing to keep you from doing the same. I suspect just about everyone would have a candidate other than himself/herself to nominate for this day,.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There used to be a joint in the town next to us called little Italy or something like that. The owner and wife were apparently from Italy. Super nice people, and I would like to think it was true Italian food, but honestly, I thought my wifes lasagna tasted better

could be why it closed down.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Likely reported this before - no apology - but the best lasagna I ever had was in Bowie MD when I was in the service. Of course I didn't appreciate how wonderful it was and didn't return. It was high, the pasta wasn't paste, had veggies, but plenty of meat and Ricotta cheese, and a flavorful sauce/tomato part. No longer there. Now it is a pizza shop.

As to favorite Italian dish? If I could find another lasagna like ^^ it might be lasagna. Otherwise, probably chicken cacciatore (hunter's chicken). The link looks reasonable, though I have't tried it.

As to fav Italian restaurant. If you are in Southern Pines or Pinehurst NC, pop over to Vito's in SP.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree completely on wing size. Gotta get that crispness. Flabby chicken skin is nasty. Also for me, I've been served undercooked wings in a restaurant before and I worry about that with huge wings.

Bigger is NOT always better in food IMO. I prefer small to medium size shrimp over the huge farmed ones.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod
    edited July 2019

I hope everyone can enjoy NWD. Wings are my fav and I know we've had many threads on who does the best. I will add that the wing sauce is also a main factor in good to outstanding wings.

The restaurant I used to work at made some killer wing sauce. Before Frank's came out with their own wing sauce, the restaurant made theirs with this recipe. (Commercial quantity) .

1 Gallon of Frank's original Hot Sauce.

1 Pound of butter

1 Pitcher of Yuengling beer.

Put all into large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to one hour. Cool and let sit refrigerated overnight. Some good sauce!