Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Think Milton gets the love to himself today

When the hullabaloo wears off, we see a 2021 guy commit next later in the week

• Options
    mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Johnson and Gilbert have better frames than Large, who you compared them to. Also, Gilbert considering being primarily split-out at Tennessee doesn’t mean he isn’t physical. He’s lined up at 5t and some 3t against 7a GA competition. Johnson primarily plays split-out at his HS, but he’s considering schools that will have him in-line. From a frame and athleticism perspective, both have a higher ceiling as a blocker than Large.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right, on Cam Large. I admittedly haven’t looked him up; I’m just going by what people that know more than me tell me. As for Gilbert, I don’t think it’s his potential as a blocker or his physicality as much as what he wants to do. He could probably be an elite pass rusher...a coveted position, but he wants to catch balls and make plays.

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for sharing this...lot to process here.

If one is led to believe TAM or Texas are UGA’s main competition for him, I guess it’s promising to hear that his mom is convinced that he’s going out of state (?)

• Options
    jusdowelljusdowell Posts: 148 ✭✭✭ Junior

A combination of Arik and Darnell is what we want and probably what staff wants but how could anybody say Theo and Large are “back up plans” and Theo is above Large when Theo is just a better athlete at the same time playing Canadian football while Large is the best player on the field in what looks to be against low level competition. If we can’t pull the combination of Arik and Darnell I would like to see Arik and Theo two very great athletes that you can pair with your “traditional tight ends” already on roster

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What I mean is I wouldn’t see him eventually starting over the other 3 names. Not that he isn’t a decent TE. May end up a better blocker than all of them.

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand what we do here is split hairs. And while I enjoy it, I'd like to point out something regards to the TE. It ultimately doesn't matter which two of the 4 we get because it won't be the difference between winning and losing a championship. At least not as our offense is currently operates.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do most people think Evans is Bama bound or will he pull the trigger for one of the Texas teams? I'd be surprised if we land him.

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very important point - we (including “me”) tend to get starry eyed watching these prospects run fade routes in 7v7s but you can’t be a TE at a school nicknamed RBU without being fully prepared to runblock

• Options
    fibonaccisquaredfibonaccisquared Posts: 43 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes and no... I agree that AG definitely not destined for the "mow you over" blocking TE. Theo has been described as a good combo between AG and DW, so it would seem like he certainly has the ability to develop in that mold still.

Ultimately, there is a lot of value though in a TE as a receiving threat... Large's receiving skillset - at least as it's been on display so far - simply does not seem to offer significantly more than putting "Cade Mays" as a TE (substitute for whoever the 6th man is on the OL in 2020 and beyond). You have to account for another blocker, but you more or less know it's a blocker.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

Word from my tamu friend in the overall feeling from the Aggies. He says the feeling in college station is that if we get milton, they’ll get Evans. This is largely based on a belief that Jimbo will be able to keep top Texas talent in state. Also got the point across that they have much more to lose and much more to gain in this recruitment than we do.

They have a really good class on offense, and a favorable depth chart to be featured as a freshman. He said it would be hard to believe the best rb prospect from Texas since Adrian Peterson would leave the state to play second fiddle to Milton. Especially if TAMU shows they can compete at a high level.

• Options
    PanicSpringTour02PanicSpringTour02 Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2019

Bummer...

If we swing and miss on Evans, would Tank still be interested? Auburn is confident in him at the moment.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why would he go to AM if they think he would be second fiddle to Milton? That should make him not want to go to AM if they told him that. He would not be second fiddle at UGA but a rotating 1A-1B.

This discussion has been closed.