Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby and tranfers

cliffhangercliffhanger Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Kirby has proven he knows what talent is when he sees it. Look what he has done with Wims, Reed, and Nizialek. Not to mention bringing in David Marvin made Rodrigo actually work for a scholarship and improve greatly. Im sure Crumpton will span out as well, once he gets comfortable in our system. Kibys eye when it comes to evaluating a player is crazy good.

Comments

• Racin_JasonRacin_Jason Posts: 37 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would agree, Wims last year more of a project he showed flashes and started putting it together at the end of the season and this year he is more capable. I would think Crumpton might have the same kind of growth as the season rolls on. You have to respect competition at every position, it really brings out the best in people. I like what he has been doing with Walk-ons as well. Walk-ons are all reward and little to no risk (saves a scholarship, creates competition, adds depth, and every once in awhile a diamond is found).

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

How about J.R. Reed. Guy is a tackling machine. Bringing on Kevin Butler was the best move Kirby has made in his short career as a HC.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:
    How about J.R. Reed. Guy is a tackling machine. Bringing on Kevin Butler was the best move Kirby has made in his short career as a HC.

I hope Butler is doing Law or Medicine or R&D in Micro-biology that takes 10 years. :D

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fwiw, Wims committed to the prior regime. But Kirby does get some credit to holding onto him.

Still don't know if I'm a fan of recruiting older players consistently.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@KingoftheSouth said:
    Fwiw, Wims committed to the prior regime. But Kirby does get some credit to holding onto him.

I agree. Should be done sparingly, and then, only to fill a very specific need. Much better IMO to get a pup and train him the right way.

• cliffhangercliffhanger Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think Kirby is a fan of it either. It just needed to be done because we didn't have the players we needed

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@KingoftheSouth said:

It doesn't work in the long run as the 25 max rule will see the total scholarships decline.

• Eason4HeismanEason4Heisman Posts: 169 ✭✭✭ Junior