Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What would an "advanced metric" MVP look like?

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited August 2019 in Off Topic

Instead of the more traditional stats - HR's, RBI's, BA...what if the MVP were chosen by using advanced metrics?

I;m thinking runs scored + RBI's -HR's as well as adding OBP - OPS or some such? How would Acuna Jr. measure up doing it this way. What metrics would you suggest?

Comments

• UWGDawgUWGDawg Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Advanced metrics are usually stats that you and I wouldn’t be able to sit down and calculate. WAR, DRS, OPS+, etc. Among most believers in these stats, WAR is considered to be the ultimate teller of who is best. According to Fangraphs, Beli and Yelli are at 6.3, and Acuña is at 4.9 wins.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes and there has been a movement towards WAR for MVP for a while now. Felix Hernandez won the CY Young largely based on advanced metrics. Mike Trout has been at the center of the argument for a while as well. He was better than the triple crown winner. WAR isn't perfect, but I think you can look at it from a tiered perspective.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WAR compares you to players who play the same position. So, that wouldn't be a great way to measure a MVP across all 9 spots on the field, IMO. I think it could be used for a tiebreaker or something, especially if playing the same position like a lot of the MVP leaders are outfielders this year.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Currently, unless I miscounted, Ronald Jr is ranked (in all of baseball):

WAR # 5

Runs #1

BB #5

HR # 4

OBP # 10

Hits # 2

RBI # 6 (tied)

OPS # 10

May not make MVP but that's a pretty dang good year in my book.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's one heck of a year, there are years he'd be MVP, and maybe with continued play like he has the last month he could slip in there.

By tiering, I mean a 7.8 WAR isn't necessarily better than a 7.5 WAR, because it depends on how much you value certain stats, and fielding is a difficult one to quantify. But 7.8 is clearly a much better player than 5.4.

The number of dominant young hitters right now is amazing and Acuna is very early in that conversation. I believe there is every reason to think he is on a very special level.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This isn’t true. War compares you to players of all other positions.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where is @WCDawg to come in and yell at us for using advanced stats instead of OBP and the eye test!

Bring back WC! Bring back WC!

he commented on the BRAVES thread a little while ago.