Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• EvilSamPittmanEvilSamPittman Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Understood and appreciate all of the above. YES, as long as we have this staff and success it doesn’t matter. As long as we have Dell McGee, Sam Pittman and Todd Hartley it won’t matter.

If we get Washington & Theo, it might not matter this year if we don’t get Arik Gilbert.

If we get Jordan Burch, it might not matter that we missed on Myles Murphy.

If we get 5* RB Zach Evans it might not matter NOW that we passed on Tank Bigsby.

I get all of that. However just saying their could be a longer term cost - those players above are 5-star guys so it’s not that we recruited over those guys. Marietta could go 3/3 with the Marietta kids. You don’t think next time that might help them get a player UGA wants.

YES, UGA Recruiting is better now than it has ever been - ever! Just sayin’ at some point down the road, there might be a price to pay. Much of UGA’s success is built on the recruiting of the assistant coaches. Will our staff stay for a long time like Clemson staff? will they flee every few years like Bama staff?

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Having a great recruiting staff is crucial, but keep in mind that Pittman wasn’t seen as a great recruiter until coming to Georgia. Neither was Dell or Lanning or Schumann.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

it helps to have a great product to sell.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hmm. I thought Pitman was highly thought of. Even got the impression that Kirby wanted Chaney because he was tight with Pitman. Could of been just coaching ability though

edited August 2019

Don’t mean to call you out but gonna pick a few bones with you here.

Googled Sam Pittman for when he was hired by Arkansas in 2012 and the first thing it says is he was a “Top 25” recruiter. Pittman recruited and developed good to great offensive lines in his previous stops.

As to Dell McGee, he had a grand total of one year as analyst at Auburn and two years at Ga Southern as a RB coach and interim head coach.

So one of these great recruiters for UGA already had a rich history of recruiting and the other hardly had a college recruiting record at all.

YES, UGA has a ton to sell and we all love it - I got my BBA there in ‘88. Both McGee and Pittman are elite - any changeover in the future and there would be a step down - UGA makes great recruiters even better - but you have to have great ones - look at Gators. Guys like those two don’t grow on trees.

edited August 2019

He was a huge success, but he wasn’t pulling in 5 stars close to the level that he is now. Some of you guys need to learn that stuff exists on a spectrum, not a binary. @EvilSamPittman , you’re making my point for me. Dell came out of nowhere. Kirby knows how to pick out recruiters, and don’t get it confused, he is the still the best recruiter on the staff.

As for Pittman, go look up who he recruited at Arkansas. He was a great recruiter for them, but he wasn’t the clear monster that he is now. And by the way, Pittman is the least likely to leave and most irreplaceable on the staff. My entire point stands, don’t y’all all get your panties in a **** bc you think I dissed Pittman—it wasn’t a diss at all.

Also @dgd829 , yes some saw them as monster recruiters waiting to come out at a big program, but there will always be those guys out there. That’s my point. Don’t lose sight of the original argument of needing to recruit more in state prospects because we might not always have elite recruiters.

No sir, your point isn’t made. Florida has a rich tradition and their coaches **** azz on the recruiting trail. Saban had to totally re-jigger his staff after 2017 season because they were getting beat so badly on the trail - and they had a much deeper and more storied program than UGA with the most accomplished coach in history of college football.

Sorry but you may think your making a point but you are not succeeding. YES, Kirby is straw that stirs the drink and he has the eye for finding good college recruiters - but we already have the best - and it is a skill - listen to the players when they tell you why they chose the school - that tells the story. It’s more than just the school or the record - it’s about relationships and building them.

This was poorly worded, because he was seen as a great recruiter. Let me rephrase to just say that UGA elevates recruiters to another level. There will be plenty of coaches out there that will fit that bill even after some of our assistants leave.

You won’t know that until it happens over a period of time.

So far so good though with the replacements but McGee/Pittman are mountain top recruiters.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like to see a big surprise Thursday or Friday to kick off the season!

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It only matters who signs a NLT with Georgia on Dec. 19 to Dec. 21.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like I'm a little late to the party I threw, so I'll be brief.

I get your point about potentially costing us in the future. Only time will tell if you're right. Two counters to it though. 1. "putting a fence around the state" is becoming old school for the reasons I mentioned previously. 2. Even if I'm wrong, selling kids on "stay home" will keep us in quality recruits no matter what the prior classes did.

On topic, I don't know if it's Evans or someone else, but something big is about to pop this week. No inside info, all gut.

This discussion has been closed.