Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

New Years Resolution

JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I started on the ole new year resolution today. It was a great weekend and thought why not start getting into shape. Used to mountain bike and road bike on the regular. Won’t post my times because they’re embarrassing, but it’s a start

anyone else start the ole New Years resolution?

Comments

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is this your late start on '19 or early start on'20 JRT?

• Options

Late start in 2016 rpm bro. Had a itch and said why not with the ole road bike. Again, my times and distance aren’t anything to be proud of. The wife made a comment of being out of shape the other day and thought it was time to get it into gear.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Better late than never. Get after it JRT bro. Make sure to stretch good lol

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My new SEASON resolution is to spend less time on my phone/tablet during games. Kept it mostly to halftime this weekend.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad to hear brother, used to ride a lot of mtn bikes back in the day myself. Now it’s just trying to play more golf.

• Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not mountain biking, JRT, but this spring I started eating better and working out. Probably a bit of a mid-life thing, but I’ve lost 30lbs or so and I’m in the best shape I’ve been in in years. Good luck with it!

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LowcountryDawg21 that’s great but I’m jealous! Still trying to lose the last of the baby weight. Why do you men lose weight so much more quickly?!? Not fair...

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Some of our more medically inclined brethren (and sistren) will know better, but I think it has to do with muscle mass and body chemistry (partly).

My wife has been on this journey with me, and has had similar success, but she’s often shared the same frustration. She seems to have to work harder at it per pound.

Also, @donm, I agree. The fairer sex is often the smarter one.

• Options

So @LowcountryDawg21 bro what are you doing? Slinging weights, cardio, keto diet etc? I got some liquid ounces I need to remove.

• Options

I ran across a YouTube channel called Fit Father Project. The guy who runs it is a Dr. who was a bodybuilder and lost his father at a young age. He has programs you can pay for (which I have), but there are also lots of free resources on his YouTube channel and webpage.

So, I’m following his program, which is a multifaceted approach that includes proper hydration, sleep, eating, and workouts. The eating plan is actually pretty sane. It’s kind of low carb, but probably not as insane as keto or Atkins. Most mornings, I have a protein shake. At lunch, I often have a salad or a vegetable and protein combo cooked by my wife over quinoa, and for dinner I try to have what he refers to as a “perfect plate,” which is mostly some kind of protein, a “slow burn” carb, and vegetables. His eating plan approves of sandwiches, but using sprouted grain breads like Ezekiel bread or Dave’s Killer Bread, instead of typical store bought breads.

The workouts I’ve been doing use dumbbells. I get a pair of dumbbells and do a sumo squat (like a goblet squat), overhead press, curls, rows in push-up position, then a push-up. Rest for 60 seconds, repeat the cycle, but with two reps for each exercise. Do that all the way up to ten reps, then back down. Takes 45-55 minutes, and will also get your heart pumping pretty good.

I’m getting ready to move to his second phase, but am having to take a break to handle a back issue. I should be back on in a couple of weeks. The back issue was from lifting my daughter a bunch in May for a dance recital.

One if the things that attracted me to this is it’s geared towards guys 40 and older. The workouts are designed accordingly.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but this has really worked for me, and I tell lots of people about it. Oh, and @allyw , he has a plan for moms as well.

• Options

Appreciate the info @LowcountryDawg21

I dig the plan and will look it up for sure.