Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Dorian is already up to Cat-4.....

13»

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just watched the first fly over videos of The Bahamas post-Dorian. The only close comparison that comes to mind is video after the Great Tsunami of 2004. Just total devastation.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Andrew in '92 (?) hit Homestead pretty bad.

Some storms are characterized by their destructive winds. Sometimes rainfall. And the worst case is that storm surge IMO.

Katrina was a cat. 5 but lost a lot of power by the time it made landfall. A strong cat 3, but with a 25 foot storm surge. More like a cat 5 really, but with less wind.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Did you get it running? Had to pull the carb on mine last year and give it a thorough cleaning.

The Bahamas are different from most of The Caribbean, it's very flat in most areas. The reported 20 ft surge was pretty similar to a tsunami, add in 175mph winds and the fact it went on for many hours it's a wonder it didn't just wash away.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We did today at work. Gas was reaching the carb but not the spark plug. I knew that Saturday, but hadn't cleaned a carburetor before. I do now. I actually took it apart Saturday and sprayed it, but one orifice was really clogged.

Ethanol. We had a thread about that way back. We use ethanol free at work. Going to that at home. Generator had only been ran twice

We're good to go Ghost. Wife was worried about all the stuff in the freezer. She puts up veggies and what not

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

@WCDawg said,

"The Bahamas are different from most of The Caribbean, it's very flat in most areas. The reported 20 ft surge was pretty similar to a tsunami, add in 175mph winds and the fact it went on for many hours it's a wonder it didn't just wash away."

GBI and Abaco are two of the lowest Islands in the Bahamian chain and you are right in thinking it's a wonder it didn't just wash away. Eleuthera, Cat, Exuma and others have high points that resemble some of the Caribbean Islands of the south.

I've spent a lot of time on Abaco and GBI and have friends there. I am very familiar with the area Dorian has been destroying. (McLean's Town, Sweeting's Cay and all around Marsh Harbour, Cherokee Sound) My heart and prayers go out to the exceptionally good people there. I can't begin to imagine the devastation and I see on a regular basis the results of Michael.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Good deal! And yes, even though it's a "new" generator or any other small engine device, non-ethanol is a must. Plus add a fuel stabilizer if it's not going to be cranked and run at least once a month. If you have a fuel shut off valve, turn it off and let it run for a bit to get the extra fuel out of the carb. Just helpful hints for anyone who doesn't know much about small engines.

My generator is sitting here for snow storms for which we haven't had in the N. GA mountains lately. But it is time to go crank it and get it ready just in case...

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

For perspective the highest point in The Dominican Republic is 10,164 ft, in Haiti it's 8,793 ft, Jamaica 7,402 ft, Peurto Rico, 3,494 ft, Cuba 6,764 ft.

The highest pt in The Bahamas is 206 ft. The remarkable thing is all of these islands are in the Eastern Caribbean near The Bahamas.

• chub4Chubbchub4Chubb Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

Headed right to my doorstep in Beaufort County. Be safe and vigilant! One of the reasons we decide to stay is the confidence in the community. Lot of of people here that know this routine, and ALL are willing to help others when needed. These times are crazy, but in a weird way, maybe what this country needs more of, from a unity standpoint. Not the water standpoint (oh, Donald...)

Hopefully this won't be a Floyd or Fran level disaster. The track of this storm looks all too familiar.

• chub4Chubbchub4Chubb Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m really just happy Dawg football dodged its path!! That’s a little insensitive to the situation. But I really am. Take my yard, my roof.. just don’t cancel/postpone my boys! Go Dawgs!