Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Cheese Pizza Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On September 5th, National Cheese Pizza Day says, “Hold the toppings!” That’s right, cheese is all you need when celebrating this pizza holiday. Whether the pie is homemade or ordered in, make it cheese only. 

A few factoids:

• In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs, and cheese which some believe is the beginning of the “pizza”.
  • In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα”, pita, meaning pie. 
  • A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans.
  • The modern pizza had its beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
  • The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the surroundings of Naples.
  • It was estimated that the annual production of pizza cheese in the United States in 1997 was 2 billion pounds.
  • The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 was in New York’s Little Italy. 
  • Pizza has become one of America’s favorite meals.

Where do you stand on the important question of what kind of cheese should go on your pizza? You can add a variety of cheeses to your pie to celebrate. Smokey gouda or a little gorgonzola might mix it up. If you like a little cheddar, mild or sharp shredded across the top will do.

What's the best pizza you ever ate?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Totonno’s on Coney Island. If you’re here you must go there

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In Italy, cheese is not "standard" on a pizza. I'm fairly certain just like taco bell is american food, so is pizza.

I think my favorite pizza ever was Nancy's chicago pizza, haven't lived in Georgia in 7 years but if I go back that will be one of my first stops (along with Xaxby's). Best cheese I've ever had on a pizza.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Polly-O mozzarella

Frank Pepe's in New Haven, CT...and it isn't even close!

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Strong UV on Frank Pepe’s...Neapolitan style done well.

Best Cheese pizza day ever for me was a stop at the annual pizza festival in Napoli summer before last. Week-long festival held in June each year featuring over a hundred pizza chefs - all with Mount Vesuvius as a backdrop. Each entry has to offer a cheese pizza and one specialty pizza of their choosing. Guests and experts then vote to declare a winner (but the real winners are the guests).

If you’re looking to plan a vacation to Italy, coordinating a stop in Napoli (a good home base for exploring the Amalfi Coast) during this week is strongly recommended.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Buzz at all the cheese pizza