Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National POW/MIA Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In the United States, the third Friday in September honors National POW/MIA Recognition Day.

Each year since 1989, a presidential proclamation brings the nation together to remember and honor the members of the Armed Forces who remain missing in action or are prisoners of war. The day serves as a call to action, reminding the nation to rededicate our efforts. We’re responsible for bringing our patriots home and for caring for our military families awaiting word of their loved ones.

The POW/MIA Flag is flown this day over significant national landmarks and government buildings across the country. Not only do the Capitol, the White House, and the Korean and Vietnam Veterans Memorials fly the flag, but so do the offices of the secretaries of State, Defense and Veterans Affairs, and of the Selective Service System. Additionally, the POW/MIA Flay flies on the grounds or in the lobbies of every major military installation, post office, and all VA Medical Centers and national cemeteries.

Take a moment to reflect upon the sacrifice that so may have made and most likely will never come home.

Comments

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On a related note, I think the Alabama ANG is doing a four ship F-16 flyover at Sanford tomorrow night. Get your camera ready on the National Anthem.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you donm!

I’m playing golf at 8:30 today with a group of senior golfers. One of the group, a former Naval aviator, spent 6 years in the Hanoi Hilton. I will make sure we Honor him on this day of national recognition.

• Dusty34Dusty34 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2019

Had to honor to visit our ww2 cemetery at Anzio and at Normandy this June. Our cemetery at Anzio has a whole room (floor to ceiling) of our boys who are still MIA/ never been identified. Our cemetery at Normandy has a wall dedicated to our boys who are still MIA / never been identified. They actually put a star next to their names once they have been identified / located at Normandy. Very moving experience. Will definitely be raising a glass today for all our POW/MIA.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Much respect for those who were captured

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

thank you Anderson. What a great opportunity to honor a "forgotten" warrior, as so many were who fought in that war. My dad was a POW for 14 months in a German camp in WWII - fortunately for me, I was too young to really know much about it and he didn't talk a lot about it when I was growing up. I'm sure he was treated much better than those in the Hanoi Hilton and other camps.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I grew up in Orange Park FL when we moved there in 1970 John McCain's family were our neighbors . Their neighbor across the street was Col. Carl Crumpler also a POW. We also had a good friend in School who's Dad Michael Hoff is still listed as MIA, his wife came up with the POW/MIA flag. Young as we were(I was 7) we weren't really sure about war and what it meant to be a POW or MIA but looking back now I am in awe of the strength of all the families and how this small community outside Jacksonville, FL pulled together to help friends cope.