Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Conservative Offense

Comments

• Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tebow? Dude is a moron

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The secondary is better than 2018. We were missing our top two corners in the game.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nicely done.

I truly hate Florida, but I like and admire Tebow as a player, competitor, and motivator. That said, he's just another talking head on the tv.

Between the people who have no understanding of football and those who secretly admire the Air Raid and wish we'd hired Mike Leach it's hard to have real conversations sometimes.

I'm planning to watch the Notre Dame game for the 4th time. It will become a classic game. Our aggressive body blows on both offense and defense were even better than their aggressive body blows. We adsorbed body blows better, too, because we're even tougher than Notre Dame and have even more depth. They have one hëll of a passing game with those huge receivers, but our passing game looks equally impressive and hasn't hit its peak yet.

In terms of how Kirby defines balance and in terms of how I extend his definition of balance to include things like balance in the speed of the game (eating the clock vs up tempo, for example) our game against Notre Dame was incredibly well balanced.

In my view, the passing game can help open up the running game particularly when its preceded by numerous effective body blows. Our second half illustrates this very nicely in my view of it.

Go, Dawgs!

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In 2017 Georgia played to protect its freshman QB with two great running backs and its less than stellar defensive backfield. This board had been worried about the defensive backfield all year. In the Natty Georgia had a three point lead in overtime. Alabama was 2nd and 26 when one of Georgias DB’s let a Alabama receiver get behind him. I have a hard time blaming the offense for the loss.

In 2018 Georgia played to protect its front seven. I do not think that Fromm found a receiver he was as comfortable with as Wims. It still had two 1,000 yard running backs. In the SEC championship game Georgia had a comfortable lead when D'Andre Walker who had been disrupting Alabama’s offense the whole game, went down with a injury. By the way I think that Cox transferred after he found out he was running third team and it was only going to get worse.

What I see so far in 2019. Three of Georgia’s top four receivers came in during the summer and have not yet fully been worked into the offense. The other top receiver Demetris Robertson is battling a hamstring injury. The same thing can be said about Eli Wolf who showed up in the summer. As happened in 2018 the offensive line has suffered multiple injuries which have hurt cohesiveness. I do not know what to do about Georgia’s punting problems on special teams but I hope the coaching staff does. This is what let ND keep the game close. If it were not for the two bad punting receptions and two very short punts it would have been a much more comfortable win.

Now for the good news. It looks like Georgia is deep enough this year to sustain injuries. The defense is playing better than they have played in years and is only going to get better. Georgia played ND without its two starting CB's. By the end of the regular season all the new receivers and Fromm will have worked out most of the timing issues. They are by far the most talented group of receivers that CKS has had. Georgia is 5 deep at running back and at least 7 deep on the O-line.

On defense Georgia is 5 or 6 deep at CB. The D-line is playing at least as well as they did in 2017. I do not think you can compare the line backers this year to last they are so much better. The DB’ overall look to be even stronger than they were last year. All this is with several freshmen pushing for more playing time on this already very talented defense. 

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it was fairly obvious if you look in retrospective that they thought they had an advantage by making the Notre Dame linebackers go side to side with screens, other short in the flat passes, reverses, and end arounds. Now if you want to call that conservative football....OK, but what jumps out in reality is Georgia's coaching might have gotten baited by talented new starters on defense for ND starting slowly, and poor execution because on one of the screens, the linemen weren't blocking anybody.

The biggest issue and one that was weird is getting calls in slowly. I'm not siding with Coley but if you block better on one of those early screens, if Fromm had a better ball over the middle to Blaylock, if Simmons actually has the hands of a good wideout, oh and if you don't muff a punt, you look a lot better in that game.

It's nuts, but we're probably going to have a similar case as 2017 in which both teams fans are talking the ifs of what we'd do if we played a better game.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not willing to say that yet.

The overall pass defense might be better, but that's because of the pass rush. The secondary in 2018 was the best in college football in my opinion... because they were one of the best pass defenses with very little pressure from a pass rush. They covered people forever and they did it well.

I think we're a step or two below that.

• MidtownDawgMidtownDawg Posts: 129 ✭✭✭ Junior

This season was doomed as soon as we announced Coley as OC. He was terrible at Miami and has been terrible here. Very good recruiter, very good position coach, horrific coordinator and play caller.

We will not beat any of the contenders with our pitiful offense. Kirby will grunt and punt his way out of a job over the next few years if he doesn’t totally reverse course ASAP.

• RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

So does Kirby get any credit for the flea flicker against MSST? Does he get any credit for kirbstomping Auburn in the 2017 SEC title game? How about shutting UT out in Knoxville for the largest home loss they've ever experienced? Embarrassing Florida in Jacksonville in 2017? Literally beating Paul Johnson into retirement in 2018? As far as Coley and his play calling are concerned, does anyone remember that game-changing field goal in the 2017 Rose Bowl? Yeah, Coley (our Co-OC at the time) and his aggression made that happen. Chaney was in the elevator. Didn't even know we had the ball.

Kirby did that with worse teams than this team. Our "slump" that comes from a new OC still beat a top ten team last week.

Not trying to be snarky, but there are a lot of selective memories on this board. UGA has been scoring at a historic pace for this school in every year of CKS' tenure other than 2016. We haven't lost an SEC east game in two years.

If you think Kirby is on his way out anytime soon, you're watching different football than me.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree the coaches are limiting Fromm. I think he could have more than 40 td passes this season in The Oklahoma offense. Thankfully Duke's 2018 QB only threw 22 td passes and he went early in the 1st rd, hopefully Jake gets rewarded.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Coley can recruit well enough and get away with it, I don't see how he can be any worse than Chaney. Just my two cents.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm amazed by how quickly a handful of folks have given up on Coley.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm amazed by how quickly a handful of folks have given up on Coley.

Somebody has to take the blame.

And it isn't going to be Jake Fromm.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is a cure where my opinion is concerned, show me. Some people are stubborn, some never acknowledged Bobo's improvement, I'm not like that.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And Kirby.

I have an idea: Let's bring back Willie Martinez and Mark Richt.

Some people post things which are incredibly stúpid and/or uninformed and/or bizarre. Of course, a couple or so weeks ago one of the talking heads on ESPN (and I think it was a black guy who actually played football but I could be wrong) said Maryland had the best offense in the nation.

Go, Dawgs!

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And Kirby.

Have not given up on Kirby. Heck we scored plenty of points under Richt. Kirby is finally making us a factor on defense.

History will show he made the wrong call Fromm v Fields. Its pretty obvious at this point.

But the fan base would have gone absolutely bonkers if he did that so not sure it was the wrong call.

All we can do is move on, hope Jake is enough, and try and get it right next time we have that kind of talent on the roster.

Looks like my comments are getting censored again but who knows. Cant be sure.

• WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As much as I think he was overrated he did his job and did what his team needed. He is no coach though and his expertise did not transcend to the next level. Yes, UGA is conservative, but they needed to get by a good ND team without careless errors and an L on their resume. Over the next 3 weeks you will see them fine tune the defense (inexperienced corners and outsided LBs) and build trust with ALL the new receivers. I ask everyone one to please rewatch the ND game with an open mind and see the utter domination in the 2nd half that was only stopped by fake injuries (3x) and no call PI (2x) with both starting corners out.

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well Tebow does know about conservative offense. He played in one for 4 years. Maybe he means we should make Fromm slam into linebackers for 4 yd gains?

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tebow? Never heard of her.