Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby or coley

Idk what happened in Saturday’s game between the hedges but it was terrible & should never happen again . Every week a team is capable of being beat but our style offense we run is out dated , I know mathis is still out but we have Stetson who some might say isn’t good but that’s just not the right word , we should run a uptempo offense no doubt have a style offense we run for each qb we have . Our o-line looks slow but that’s cause the style offense we run too . Maybe if you think what could our offense possibly do in a different style offense ?? We have talent across every position you can’t say someone isn’t good or better than the other ... idk if anyone remembers but before we played OU our defense said scouting against Stetson prepared them for mayfield . Stetson is more mobile than Fromm not saying bench Fromm but we got to look at different options use different styles of offense. It could make a huge difference how the team improves . You go back & look when we had Eason & Fromm went in look what happened. Who’s to say what would’ve happened had that not occurred another thing I’ve noticed that’s got me thinking Kirby is calling plays more than coley is that we are seeing the same thing what Chaney did . Our defense this year isn’t given up many TD’s which tells me Kirby should stay out the offense play calling . Like Kirby said after the national championship we aren’t going anywhere ! Well show them why we aren’t ! Go dawgs

Comments

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And let me add, that If Coley had his choice the offense would look more like LSU vs what we have seen thus far.

It's Kirby not Coley IMO.

Chaney would have done the same.

It's Kirby's team, and we are gonna run an offense that won't tire out the defense.

Even if that means going 3 and out after 2 run plays into a 9 man box and then an deep shot.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have gradually moved to the idea that our offensive philosophy has been driven by Kirby, not Chaney or Coley. This offense has looked very similar to Chaney's imo. Some of it may be Fromm's preferences, too. We look very similar to Alabama's offense from 5-10 years ago and that is what Kirby and his likely offensive mentors associate with success.

I'm not so sure that moving toward the OK, LSU, Bama model is the right answer. Retaining a power running game has great value. We just aren't doing as well with our running game of late. If we could have been more explosive Saturday we would have won. SC stopped our running game enough to limit our effectiveness. We have to get better at passing, but we have to stay good at running imho.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with you on Kirby trying to replicate the OLD Bama blueprint but there is a middle ground between that and them now. And even the older Bama teams always had that one gamebreaking WR.

Not to mention the point of having a strong running game shouldn't be to keep pounding even when they know it's coming because you think you'll wear them down or break one eventually...didn't work Saturday.

A balanced power running team from even the early days of Saban CAN pound you, or they can hit you over the top. We use our running game to get them to stack the box...and then run right into said box.

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I keep reading how Kirby promoted Coley to run Chaney's offense plus a few wrinkles. Where/what are the wrinkles? Jet sweep more? If so wow living on the edge. Ha will take the pun too

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would point out. OU has a top run and passing team the last three years. Its formulated to fit each QBs strengths and hide the weaknesses. There are different OLine skill sets required though but much harder to stop for 4 quarters.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Near as I can tell the wrinkles are to TRY to throw to the TEs more and to run more motion in the backfield that you can run that sweep or reverse off of..lol.

edited October 2019

The definition of players not plays.

That's what coaches get paid to do.

Coach to their players strengths.

We are not maximizing our players ability. especially at WR.

The only TE we have that should ever see the field is Wolf, and that should still only be 20% of the time.

I'd encourage each of you to look at this before dismissing OU as a passing offense that can't run.

also see how they don't have to set up plays, and they're receivers aren't wide open because they have blazing speed.

https://rileykolstefootball.com/2019/03/18/book-preview-breaking-down-the-2018-oklahoma-offense-2/

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are we the only top 25 team still running this offense.

• MackDawgMackDawg Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The wrinkles are being added to our faces from all the cardiac games we're having this season.

• TMDawg7TMDawg7 Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wisconsin, but if they were in the SEC they’d be a 6 win team.

It’s on Kirby and if he doesn’t change the fan base is going to turn on him recruiting is going to struggle and then we’re back to the end of the Richt era. I hate to say it but after his comments and the way he’s blamed it on execution etc etc he’s not changing anytime soon. Those that want to stay hopeful have at it but I see it coming. Either James Coley is an absolute moron or he’s running the same offense Chaney did with very few wrinkles because that’s what Kirby wants. Our blocking schemes are dated too, I know we have a massive OL and that’s great but there’s no pulls nothing even remotely innovative just lineup and run right at you and hope the massive line can make a hole.

ill eat crow if I’m wrong but get ready folks it’s going to be a long ride.

I'm right there with you and will hopefully be eating crow right there beside you.

• TMDawg7TMDawg7 Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We all complained about Chaney but our complaints were aimed at the wrong one. It’s always been Kirby and always will be until he realizes this is a fault he has. He hired Coley because he’s a yes man. I’m remembering a post from 247 where a poster quoted Jimbo about Coley. Jimbo called the plays Coley “helped” with the game planning. Basically Coley did what Jimbo said which is exactly what Coley is doing now.

• MackDawgMackDawg Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do you think Kirby will take to heart this loss at home to an unranked USC Jr. team that was 2-3?

After the hype video I'm very scared that he won't, that he'll double down instead and that he's thinking that he's gonna send all of CFB a message that radical uptight uber conservative low octane football can work instead of innovating.

We may never see UGA attempt a pass again unless its to Charlie Woerner on an out route with 9 guys in to protect Fromm so that he has ample time to wait for Woerner to make it to the side line.