Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby or coley

Comments

• MackDawgMackDawg Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Then one day the ball will go through Charlie's hands and into a DB's palms for a pick six. Kirby will pucker up, bench Fromm for the rest of the year and cycle in RBs as wildcat QBs that run up the gut for an average of 2-3 yards. Our TEs and WRs will be replaced by reserve OL

My only real question after Saturday's game is...will Kirby leave the cupboard full for the next guy?

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm no where close to ready to even consider giving up on Kirby.

But plenty of big time boosters will if he doesn't get his head out of his A$$ and quit this offensive approach of pure insanity.

His creation of the Magill Society will backfire on him quicker than it got him all those facilities.

There are tons of people put a lot of hard earned money into this football team just for the right to watch us lose to a 2-3 South Carolina team.

That is absolutely inexcusable.

Its Kirby's fault when we win and it's Kirby's fault when we lose.

I don't think we have beaten a more talented team than us since Kirby has been the coach.

Not very impressive when you can just cover up your inept offense by steam rolling over lesser competition.

It also doesn't help you for when you play team on the same level as you.

Kirby peaked in 2017 in the SECCG. Then in the NC it became clear. Kirby is scared. This isn't even 2009 Saban football he's trying to implement. He is almost completely scared of taking any probabilistic risk until it's absolutely too late, the team senses that, and it makes them feel like he doesn't really trust them. Kirby is scared. Every day is October 31st to him. He probably believes in ghosts and sleeps with one of those retro night lights plugged in the outlet, if the man can even calm himself down enough to even sleep. Kirby is scared.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What you said about 3 and out is what I was yelling at the TV on Saturday...not wearing out the defense means you keep getting 1st downs, score relentlessly so that you wear the other team down physically AND mentally.

• mikeshuemikeshue Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

I say CKS, Coach Coley and Coach Pittman and the offensive line. They should be protecting the QB and opening holes. No excuses for short yardage problems. No reason for a QB to be extending plays. It can be argued that OF cannot hold their blocks for a certain period of time. Yes. Then have the receivers run timed intermediate routes. Underneath to soften the defense.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many times did we keep doing that with Chubb during the NC game, when it clearly wasn't working.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

youre too new for me to know when you are trolling and when you’re not.

Lot of truth to what you’ve said about coaching “scared”, but maybe timid is a better word. I think you’re a little too extreme with your wording but I do agree we need to stop being timid and conservative and go out and try to destroy teams on offense. We gotta be explosive and dangerous and we just aren’t.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree that most of our offensive philosophy comes from Kirby - protect the ball and limit turnovers,and use the running game to keep our defense off the field and wear down the opponents defense - but any talk of getting rid of him is ridiculous. Look at how long it took Saban and Dabo to become national title winners; Kirby will learn from his mistakes.

I don"t know if our lack of passes to the middle of the field is by design or a case of Jake being more comfortable throwing to the sidelines and taking the safer option throw, but it seems to me that it's time to open things up and taking more of a chance with our route selection. We can go 10-2 or 9-3 every year playing this way, but Kirby has raised expectations and that won"t cut it anymore at UGA.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How could anything be safer than throwing to Swift, so wide open in the middle, that there wasn't a SC player even in the camera's view?

• GeorgiaDawgs912GeorgiaDawgs912 Posts: 168 mod

I agree . Recruits are taking note he should know this a program with what depth we have should not be losing to a team like that he will have no choice but to make change or suffer the consequences

edited October 2019

It isn't black and white. It isn't Kirby or Coley <b>alone</b>. It's the mismatched chemistry between the two at the moment. If Kirby had someone like Kiffin as the OC with a very specific directive to maintain ball control to protect the D, he'd flourish. You put Coley under Jimbo Fisher and it clicks. It boils down to Coley's identity. He needs to be his own man under the conditions Kirby has him under(ball control O). This will be his make or break year as a coordinator. He'll find a way to make it "click" under these conditions or he won't.

edited October 2019

Can't believe the bold font doesn't work around here...Lol.

Anyway, post-script, if he doesn't flourish then he'll probably be demoted instead of let go. The South Florida pipeline has been prioritized for this program.

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Glad I'm not the only one that has noticed this. Just like yourself, I have waited to say anything as the emotional people were going to overwhelm the site.

The OL did a good job in pass protection, in fact many times Fromm had over five seconds to throw, but had no one to throw to. I believe he should have scrambled to pick up yards in these situations.

Not having Herrien and his ability to break tackles was missing as Zeus went down many times on initial contact.

OL injuries showed up in the 4th quarter with no running lanes. The coaches didn't adjust the play calling based off of this, but they also had WRs and TEs not blocking well, not running good routes and not catching the ball (fundamentals and most of them have no real game day experience).

The sense of urgency was missing and from the beginning the game felt lackadaisical and a noon start didn't help that (crowd didn't get into the game until late as well).

I also keep in mind that the great Alabama teams lost two years straight to a mediocre Ole Miss team and with that said, I don't go running to post that everything needs to change at UGA and coaches need to be fired.

Go Dawgs!

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was a mess on Saturday. That much I know. No separation for our speedy WRs, TEs couldn’t catch, Fromm throwing long & short (but rarely on target), and the OL mailing it in. Blaylock fair catches every kick, and our punter is inconsistent. Players? Coaches? I don’t know. Really, most of us don’t. We just see the results on the field. The OT showed we don’t score when we need to. We couldn’t even get a first down. Ugh.

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We run a Dinosaur offense. Satan figured out a few years ago, that he needed to change his offense, when his complaining about the hurry up O, landed on deaf ears. Kirby at this point is unwilling to admit that our offense is predictable and even a mediocre coach, can scheme for it. We need to find a way to get our talented players more involved in our O. Dont see that happening unless Kirby ends up on the hot seat for underperforming. Hire an OC and get out of his way.

Only after being on the verge of losing the NC against us and having nothing to else lose.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love Kirby and what he's doing. I believe he will field a top five competitive team most seasons. However, he deserves reasonable criticism.

REASONABLE criticism is warranted. But wanting to win TOP is not a bad thing. Wanting to limit turnovers by being a run heavy offense is not bad. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that you won't have as many interceptions if you run the ball and use higher percentage pass plays. A young team benefits from a more conservative approach and that's what we've had most of Kirby's tenure.

Some folks criticize our offensive philosophy because they just want something more dynamic. I get it. I want the best chance to win with current personnel. To open it up you need WR's to get separation. If I'm not mistaken Jake passed 51 times in the game with several shots down field. We dominated in every offensive category but turnovers. That's why we lost. Doesn't matter what offense you run if you have three interceptions and a fumble lost on a center exchange. A pass oriented offense would not have fared any better.

• papadoc19papadoc19 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby's mandate to protect the D is the problem and runs counter to the direction the game is heading. It is funny that of the people from the Saban coaching tree, it is Saban himself that has been most willing to dispense with that mindset. Kirby needs to look to Alabama and Clemson...or the improvements made by Oklahoma and Ohio State and find a way to strike a better balance. Sacrificing a dynamic offense at the altar of your defense is not going to cut it.