Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Everyone wants the air raid offense but ...

Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tua got hurt AGAIN and their inability and non commitment to run the ball game plan is going to be tested in the next few weeks without him, depending if he comes back healthy for LSU or not. When Mac jones went in their receivers might as well have been our starting line up. Didn’t look good. Also tells you how special Tua is with that gimmicky RPO offense slinging dimes.

Comments

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mark me down as one who does not. I prefer football

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just so we're clear, spread /= air raid

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

That's not really the air raid offense that they run...

But if Tua has a high ankle sprain (that he'll likely try to play through beginning against LSU) that just made LSU even more interesting in a sad way.

• Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You know what I mean ... they are 10th in the conference in rushing attempts

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have not seen or heard of one single person who wants an air raid offense

they just don't want the ball run up the middle on first and second down then a 20+ pass attempt on 3rd and long

• YankeeYankee Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Let’s face it there is no air raid offense in the dawgs future, not as long as Smart is in charge.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t want us chucking the ball 50 times a game. Too much risk for turnovers and you forget how to grind a game out when you need to.

A quick point though: you know what doesn’t protect a defense? Going 3 and out. So as much talk as there has been about calling plays to protect the defense, that makes no sense to me.

• JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can care less about air raid, ground and pound or whatever else offense there is. All I’m concerned about is quit coming out lethargic, and slow. Play with intensity, play with emotion early, play to win, play to beat the other team into submission.

This season has just been weird, one game we may use the TE, with success, then for 3 games we decide not to even attempt it.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Defense could win championships 10 years ago but now you have to be able to score. Do you think we would hold the top offenses to less than 10 points? Do you really think we would hold the top tier teams to 0 points in the second half?

It’s like some of y’all haven’t noticed the way the game has transitioned recently. Yeah running the ball is great, but you have to be able to throw it effectively and be explosive. Because as good as our defense is we will not be able to completely stifle the better teams offenses.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol, the trusty straw man that if you’re not happy with the current offense you’re calling for a switch to a Mike Leach offense.

Combined with the old standards that a guy getting injured is due to scheme and that it’s impossible to have both a good offense and defense so might as well be happy.

• papadoc19papadoc19 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would take the Oklahoma or Ohio State offense which both have very strong run components but still are able to sling the ball all over the field. As an aside, is what Alabama runs the air raid? Their shift in offensive philosophy originated with Lane Kiffin (not from the Hal Mumme/Mike Leach coaching tree) and grew out of that foundation.

• flasuxxsflasuxxs Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

It’s not switching to an air rade offense,it’s having a plan B,or C,we know the past 3 years we are faced with a 6,7,8 man front to stop the run,only way to get them out is go to an imaginative passing game,including the TE, backs out the backfield underneath crossing wrs,more come backs, receivers need to break patterns off and come back for help...this is coaching,I’d rather have receivers working on routes than practicing blocking,,,more reps with Fromm the better.....plus Fromm in the hurry up is extremely effective, time to start trusting someone...called coaching,, just being able to recruit suxxs if you do not coach them up to their full potential..thesaurus HC job...haven’t seen it yet..been a dawg for 66 yrs,I’m 77...played under ERK in hs, and tried college.lol..but a true student of the game..long time sufferer

• flasuxxsflasuxxs Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

God help us if we get behind the Gayturds, awwwbarn, or tam, and they man up on wrs with the passing mentality we have now,...will be a long season, and kiss a few of those 5* we are recruiting now,bye,bye...are slants in a foreign language as using the middle of the field...**** teams know we are not and shading to outside......Remember Francis the talking mule...well the sequel is Kirby the talking mule..

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tua got hurt AGAIN and their inability and non commitment to run the ball game plan is going to be tested in the next few weeks without him

Yes they will be tested against Arkansas and BYE.

Im sure they are worried.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

30-6. Jakes record. 

I couldn't think of a more meaningless stat.

• MadscottMadscott Posts: 10 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited October 2019

Under Sarkisian , Alabama runs a West Coast offense with some RPO. Sark and Kiffin are from the Norm Chow/LaVell Edwards offensive philosophy . Mike Locksley (2018) was more of an air raid offense from the Hal Mumme tree.

Because of the ineffectiveness in the red zone against Clemson, to protect Tua by getting the ball out of his hands quicker, and to use his receivers to control the ball, Saban went to a short passing game offense.

For the record, throwing out the incomplete UT game for Tua. Tua is averaging 5 more pass attempts per game than Fromm. 30 for Tua, 25 for Fromm.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

and what is the YPC and TD difference in those 5 extra passes per game?