Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Anybody worried about Fields injury????

jtdawg2020jtdawg2020 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior
edited October 2017 in General

Break looks pretty bad. I just wish it was on his left hand instead. It being on his throwing hand has me a little worried if it might inhibit him from getting back to his old self. Also wonder if this causes some recruits to be worried as well and slow down some of the momentum on the recruiting trail. Anyone worried about this or am I just overreacting? Anyone have experience with this type of break on your throwing hand or know of athletes (baseball or football) that had this and if they came back just as good(accuracy/strength) as before?? Go Dawgs!!!!!

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

Not worried in the slightest. If it was a leg or a knee...yes

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

even inn his throwing hand, it is much, much better than a leg injury. think about how much he had rushed this year and how he could have hurt his legs?

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thehutch40 said:
    If the x-ray I saw is in fact his, then he will spend 4-6 weeks with a pin through the bone. After removing the pin and the bone has healed, he will probably need a few weeks of physical therapy to regain full motion and motor control so don't surprised if he is a little rusty if he can/does play the UA game. But long term, nor worried at all. If he does EE, he will be full go by January. This is all hypothetical of course as I am not treating him.

@thehutch40 Would you play baseball given that there's always a possibility of getting hit on the hand while batting?

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The injury should not be much of an issue for football because the finger does not have to flex a great deal throwing the football, although it will create some resistance pressure. If Justin was a pitcher and not a shortstop, I think there would have been more long-term concern having to bend the finger more and putting more pressure on the joint with the various pitches.

To me the injury reinforces to me the hope that JF will be developed into the basic offense we have now, with a few more read options & roll-outs, and yes have a QB that can buy more time in the pocket and run when necessary. As much as he has run the ball in high school, I am amazed this has been his worst injury. Justin Rogers the Rivals #3 Dual Threat committed to TCU had a horrible dislocation of his knee in the first quarter of his opener this season.

While I have never broken a finger, I shattered my right elbow after hitting a tree skiing in 1990. I had two pins that were over four inches long that were removed a couple of months after the accident. My PT lasted about six months and I did loose some of my extension. I still have a plate, six screws and a piece of wire in my elbow 27 years later. I was back skiing, playing softball and golfing within the year and still play golf.

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm no Doctor. Kids break bones. They seem too be resilient. I wouldn't bet my house on it , but I think he'll be just fine.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:
    The injury should not be much of an issue for football because the finger does not have to flex a great deal throwing the football, although it will create some resistance pressure. If Justin was a pitcher and not a shortstop, I think there would have been more long-term concern having to bend the finger more and putting more pressure on the joint with the various pitches.

To me the injury reinforces to me the hope that JF will be developed into the basic offense we have now, with a few more read options & roll-outs, and yes have a QB that can buy more time in the pocket and run when necessary. As much as he has run the ball in high school, I am amazed this has been his worst injury. Justin Rogers the Rivals #3 Dual Threat committed to TCU had a horrible dislocation of his knee in the first quarter of his opener this season.

While I have never broken a finger, I shattered my right elbow after hitting a tree skiing in 1990. I had two pins that were over four inches long that were removed a couple of months after the accident. My PT lasted about six months and I did loose some of my extension. I still have a plate, six screws and a piece of wire in my elbow 27 years later. I was back skiing, playing softball and golfing within the year and still play golf.

Ouch! To me a joint or ligaments are likely to have more lasting impacts than a bone break.

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2017

@Denmen185 I personally would as by that point he should have zero issues and his finger should be like it was prior the fracture. Fingers are surprisingly often spared when a batter gets hit in the hand, the natural instinct is to pull your hands in and often it exposes the wrist. On a side note, I'd rather break a finger any day than break a bone in my wrist, there isn't as much blood flow to the wrist and it can take a really long time for bones to heal.

@BobcatGrad said:

The index finger on the throwing hand is the most important finger for throwing anything. As long as the only injury is that fracture (no ligament or tendon damage), his recovery is rather quick and with a very good prognosis. I am amazed as well this is his only injury the way he has been used, at least from watching the game this past Thursday. Sorry to hear about your elbow.

• MetalDawgMetalDawg Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

I had a similar Injury and played baseball with it. Fields will be fine the injury is pretty minor compared to what it could have been.

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Broke a couple of fingers in my teens. 4-6 weeks and good to go.

• jtdawg2020jtdawg2020 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks for all the responses. Starting to feel a little better about it now. Go Dawgs!!

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I never want any player to get hurt and I know it sounds bad, but it could good for us. He is done with high school football so we don't have to worry about a more serious injury.

• AkonAkon Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

A break is always better than a muscle or white tissue injury in terms of long term effects. Broken finger is standard procedure. Surgery, recover, move on.

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe he won't stay in HS to play baseball in the spring? Actually could provide some upside if he were to enroll early.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@KingoftheSouth said:
    Maybe he won't stay in HS to play baseball in the spring? Actually could provide some upside if he were to enroll early.

Agreed. You wouldn't want to aggregate it again after surgery and rehab for a sport you aren't going to school for.

@Akon said:
    A break is always better than a muscle or white tissue injury in terms of long term effects. Broken finger is standard procedure. Surgery, recover, move on.

Agree with this as well. Also, breaks are better than fractures, too. Fun fact right there.