Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Weed Ethics Question?

BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What does each school do to let the kids know that weed is illegal? I know that most think it's a **** offense (story for another day). However, I would love to see just what the schools in the SEC tell their kids about smoking The Devil's Lettuce. Who do you think actually places emphasis on this? Is it a losing battle? I don't want to get into a discussion about so-and-so school covers it up. I'm just wondering what is said to the kids to discourage them? We have had our share, so no need to point fingers.

My take is this: I don't care what your stand is on it...the NCAA says that it is illegal...so do not do it! You will have plenty of time after college/pros to smoke as much as you want.

If my college buddies knew that it was me typing this, I would NEVER live it down.

P.S. My father has Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. The only way to help him sometimes with the Parkinson's isn't the meds that they give him...it messes with his memory too much. I use another method that helps him.

Bet.

Comments

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The war on weed was started in the 30s when Roosevelt was President. The reason? Roosevelt was in bed with the DuPont Chemical Company....they wanted to put out this new-fangled material called nylon, which would replace the hemp...read...MJ....ropes that the government was using at the time, along with other products.

So.....Roosevelt pushed for MJ laws and ( if you believe the conspiracy theories) got a big pay-off under the table for doing it. And the hemp industry was pretty much wiped out. It's really a shame. There's a lot of health benefits in MJ, but again, the gov't....along with pharmaceutical companies, continue to press MJ laws. However....it is loosening now. I see it being legalized in the future, but until that time comes, I am with you. It's an illegal substance. You smoke and get caught, you face the consequences....Just like with a DUI.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thems the rules. Can't say I agree or disagree, but the rules are the rules. Once a kid commits to the G, they should have already had their "Last Dance with Mary Jane"

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As long as they’re just smoking it like occasionally on their couch at home, I’m fine with it. Or if they live in the athletic dorm, just take a walk out in the woods behind your dorm. These kids put so much work into their bodies, limited marijuana usage is not going to negatively affect them.

And you guys acting like rules should never be broken, I trust you never even accidentally drive even 1 MPH over the speed limit.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    As long as they’re just smoking it like occasionally on their couch at home, I’m fine with it. Or if they live in the athletic dorm, just take a walk out in the woods behind your dorm. These kids put so much work into their bodies, limited marijuana usage is not going to negatively affect them.

And you guys acting like rules should never be broken, I trust you never even accidentally drive even 1 MPH over the speed limit.

L - funny you mention it but I always drive 2 mph below the limit...trying to work on patience and being in the moment. I saw today where the NBA is looking into removing penalties for use of MJ.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

That's not really a good analogy. You get a ticket for that....MJ can get you arrested, suspended from the team, etc....

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2017

I don’t drink much or do any drugs but I did go to college.

I am certainly not going to cast the first stone.

I think a one time mulligan is fair if no one is driving or selling.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2017
    edited October 2017

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

That's not really a good analogy. You get a ticket for that....MJ can get you arrested, suspended from the team, etc....

the rules are the rules.

it is illegal...so do not do it!

Those are direct quotes from what I was replying to. Not sure what you thought I was replying to.

edited October 2017

@donm said:

@levander said:

L - funny you mention it but I always drive 2 mph below the limit...trying to work on patience and being in the moment. I saw today where the NBA is looking into removing penalties for use of MJ.

I used to work with a guy I became really good friends with, ate lunch with him every day. His best friend from childhood ended up in the NBA, and he’d still see him occasionally, etc.. what I was told at the time was that the NBA was the only professional sport that didn’t test for marijuana. But now this was maybe 15 years ago. And the athlete wasn’t someone I’d take advice from on very many things. Like we found a speeding ticket in the back of his BMW 7-Series one time that said he was supposed to have been in court in the state of Connecticut like a week ago. He called some guy that’s handled stuff like that for him when we found it... Anyway, that’s what I was told several times, they don’t test for marijuana in the NBA. I very well could have been told wrong though. It wasn’t the best source. But he seemed pretty sure.

• FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

I will always maintain that as long as hard liquor is legal, so should pot be . No one will ever convince me that someone could go buy a half gallon of liquor and pretty much drink themselves to death and that's fine but if someone takes a few hits off a joint and that makes them a criminal. That's asinine beyond the pale.
    Having said that, the players know the rules and it they get caught it's their own fault. You got to play the cards as they are dealt.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It may be against NCAA rules but it is also illegal 99% of the time.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was a big Hearthstone fan up until a few months ago. I think this kinda fits:

https://youtu.be/jWM5RZ_UPXw

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Does the NCAA expressly forbid it? I don't think they do, I could be wrong. Individual schools and states have their own drug enforcement policy, so I think the answer depends on the school/state.

From what I've heard coaches are usually pretty up front about it. They say don't smoke weed, you'll get tested, and if you get popped, here are the consequences. Many guys take those chances after they've been tested and hope to not get tested again or arrested. It comes down to a school policy to my best interpretation.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2017

@KingoftheSouth said:
    Does the NCAA expressly forbid it? I don't think they do, I could be wrong. Individual schools and states have their own drug enforcement policy, so I think the answer depends on the school/state.

From what I've heard coaches are usually pretty up front about it. They say don't smoke weed, you'll get tested, and if you get popped, here are the consequences. Many guys take those chances after they've been tested and hope to not get tested again or arrested. It comes down to a school policy to my best interpretation.

Is it the schools or NCAA that require/implement the random drug testing of athletes?

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Palm_City_Dawg said:

@KingoftheSouth said:

Is it the schools or NCAA that require/implement the random drug testing of athletes?

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

anyone who watched Live PD know that most cops do not even care about small amounts of marijuana. 99% of the time the cops just ignore it outside of a comment or two

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its not a performance enhancer.. unless you want to say it helps players heal up by being a pain reliever. Even then why would you deny them that? Still has less side effects than many pain relievers.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know of any state that it is legal for UNDER 21 to use recreational weed. Same with alcohol. Medical use requires a prescription for any of those drugs including weed (where allowed) and not sure of age limitation even then