Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Accepted to Georgia today!

dawgdawg Posts: 43 ✭✭✭ Junior

Life long dawg fan and got accepted early action today! Wondering y’alls opinions abt the uga experience outside of football. Thanks for the advice. Not a huge poster but long time reader of the forum. GO DAWGS! BEAT A&M!

Comments

• SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congrats. I was there in the early 90s & it's changed a lot but we had a blast. Beautiful campus & Brumby Beach was the highlight of every spring...eye candy galore. Back then living was cheap, beer was cheaper & the girls were.....well, fun to say the least. REM, WSP, Allgood, DMB, the music scene never let up. I had a final I couldn't miss one time & Pearl Jam was playing at legion field during one of their first big tours, that **** but I more than made up for it. All I can say is represent the Red & Black well & keep it classy when other teams come in, that's what separates us from fla. That & they just **** in general. Enjoy every minute because it goes by in the blink of an eye.

Go Dawgs!

• SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The lawn by Brumby was full on bikini action when the weather warmed up. Had many near crashes in my CRX rubberneckin' & the horn honk miraculously resulted in more than one date..

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congratulations! My time there was from 2005-2009 and I enjoyed every minute. It’s the first and last time you’re in an intensive learning environment. Take any classes that will interest you and choose a major you’ll enjoy. Take girls out on dates, join campus organizations and work hard. It’s the best 4 years of your life!

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2019

I forgot to offer my congratulations as well. I know a lot of smart folks from good families who can't find their way in to UGA these days.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congrats. Remember that you only get this opportunity once, take advantage of those 4 years not just by working hard, but by making some memories too ;)

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I often said that if the Lord has mercy on me when I die I will go to Athens.

Like others said, be active. But hit the books with intensity too. From the get go. Aim to get ahead of your peers academically, be challenged as if your academic competition was Mullen and Gus.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Never schedule a Friday class if you can help it

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

4 years 80-84 here .... lot has changed but the great advise in the posts above show the important things never change ....

congrats and Go F..... Kin Dawgs ..!,,,

• 70dawg70dawg Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wasn't ever smart enough to enroll...but best to you my fellow Dawg.

Keep your head on a swivel, the shorts and sundresses will certainly drive you insane

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Study two hours for every hour in the classroom.

Everything else is easy if you do that.

Everyone else is at least as smart as you are. The super geniuses with photographic memories don't have to study, but you're not one of them.

Go, Dawgs!

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congrats! Good luck at the greatest (and oldest) public university our country has to offer.

Go Dawgs!!

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This^^^ @Dawg My son graduated from UGA in 2011. Always a great student. Encountered real academic culture shock his first semester. UGA is TOUGH. It is not glorified high school. If you're smart enough to get in, you're smart enough to do well. But do NOT think you can just cruise through. Good luck to you

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congrats on being accepted!

My daughter will graduate in May. She's very smart and has always been a great student. She attended excellent magnet schools as a kid. Her SAT and ACT scores were great. She participated in demanding time consuming extracurriculars in high school.

She works very hard to make good grades at Georgia because all of her peers in Athens are from the same background and have the smarts.

I'm very proud of her success at the University of Georgia and of how hard she's worked. She knew going into it that she had to keep her Zell Miller to stay in Athens.

Go, Dawgs!

• carnivorecarnivore Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Congratulations @dawg ! Athens? Lemme put it this way. Half of my friends from the early ‘70s never left, mostly taking jobs at the school after graduating with BA/BS or taking a masters program or PhD. Amazing place to live as well as go to school. Have fun.

Being accepted at UGA is an accomplishment particular being accepted into the freshman class.

Congratulations.

Go, Dawgs!