Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Next to Commit to the G

Comments

• HerschelismyHeroHerschelismyHero Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2017

I'd look at it from the flip side, Jam is coming to GA and if he can bring Cade with him, all the better. I mentioned Cade here about a month ago and everyone thought I was crazy because he is a TN legacy. That doesn't matter as much in today's world, especially when the coaching staff at TN is about to blow up. I think Cade is coming to Athens this weekend and Jamaree is going to spend time working him in to the Georgia plan. Expect him to get an offer soon. Instead of Falalee, we add Mays to Hill and Salyer. Try that one on for size. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

@Palm_City_Dawg said:

@bmauldin said:
    If we land Ford, do we keep Fitz?

Yup...!

Is Fitz that good? Haven’t watched tape on him.

Yes. @tiger_62082 posted his tape and made me a fan months ago. Keep both then Goede 2019.

@NIKEAIR2014 said:
    @icecolddawg i guess we are all in on trey hill but I hope salyer is just trying to confuse the media
    @icecolddawg
    Does GA have room to accommodate Mays? Was there a fit issue with GA initially or did GA just decide against chasing early on because of TN ties?

I have 3 more OL needed.

• icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Denmen185 To add as our 3 linemen - Salyer, Mays and Hill along with Ericson is BANANAS (Thanks Mama Cook)!!!

@icecolddawg said:
    @Denmen185 To add as our 3 linemen - Salyer, Mays and Hill along with Ericson is BANANAS (Thanks Mama Cook)!!!

Warning: That is based on 1-2 sophomores transferring out. It could also be 2 from your 3 plus Faalele. If UGA cools on Faalele that should be taken as a potentially good sign same as cooling on Tyreke. We could end up with 8-10 of the top 40.

• icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2017

@Denmen185 I realize that Faalele might eventually be a good plyer. However, I am not sold on utilizing a prime scholarship on a prospect with potential than some of the more proven talent available at other positions. I can respect a Mays but not sold on Faalele. I am not CKS or CSP...surely they know best!

Have you given much thought on Taylor from TN or Taylor-Stuart from CA? If so, what is your take on that situation?

• HerschelismyHeroHerschelismyHero Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ford just picked up a CB to the Dawgs. "We ain't done yet."

@icecolddawg said:
    @Denmen185 I realize that Faalele might eventually be a good plyer. However, I am not sold on utilizing a prime scholarship on a prospect with potential than some of the more proven talent available at other positions. I can respect a Mays but not sold on Faalele. I am not CKS or CSP...surely they know best!

Have you given much thought on Taylor from TN or Taylor-Stuart from CA? If so, what is your take on that situation?

Again, I am expecting 1-2 transfers out from the OL. If that happens (2) we need 5 recruits to keep the numbers right. We have 2 committed both of which I think hold so that's 3 still needed. I am leaning to the 2 remaining spots at DB will be Campbell and Taylor-Stuart with the cooling of interest in Johnson. It could also be looking at Taylor at CB rather than WR

^^^^ Other option is that Webb is staying at CB then Taylor could be a take at WR and only take 3 DB.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

These are such fun problems to have and not be worried some other team will flip our guys two days before signing day

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@texdawg said:
    I understand the desire to sign the top class. It's been proven that national championship contenders sign more 4 and 5 star players than the other schools do.

But good recruiting also means good scouting. Just because the rating sites rate a kid a 5,4 or 3 star doesn't mean it's true.

Typically the 5 star players that UGA has signed the past few years have turned out to be good players. But there are almost as many misses as there are hits with the 4 stars that were signed.

And I'm sure grateful that we have these 3 star players right now : Kindley, Marshall, McGee, Sanders and Herrien. And I'm especially grateful to have our little ole 2 star player
    J R Reed.

There has been a lot of talk that hopefully CKS slow plays a Wildgoose,
    Becton or Brule.

If CKS likes them enough that he gave them committable offers then there is a good chance these kids are pretty good football players. If it means we don't get to our 305 pts in 247 - that's OK.

As a high school coach, slow playing a recruit so he hopefully decommits is bad business. And it won't go very well next time a college coach wants to recruit in that high school.

Hopefully CKS honors the kids who have already committed to the G.

As nice as it is to have all those 4* and 5* players, and generally those stars and rankings are a good indicator of what you are getting. However, Marshall was the top priority target over Gurley. David Pollack was a lowly 3* fullback before winning every defensive award available. And we have to remember the high value recruits who went bust one way or another: Isaiah Crowell, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Ty Flournoy-Smith, Nick Marshall, Chris Sanders, Zach Mettenberger, etc. Some of these recovered their careers and even made it to the pros but were a big disappointment for UGA.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby, just like Saban, doesn't care about winning 247 composite recruiting points. They would NEVER take a five star over a three star that was a better athlete and a better fit for their system, eg. Pittman would much rather have a 6'5, 350 lb OG with three stars than a four star that weighed 275. The reason he wants Salyer has nothing to do with stars.
    Though imperfect, evaluation from recruiting experts has improved a lot over the last 10-12 years, and the reason Saban and Kirby have big 247 composite scores has less to do with big time coaches chasing stars and more to do with evaluators getting better at what they do.
    Coaches with a staff of 30-50 occasionally find the three star needle in a haystack, but a VAST majority of three star recruits don't go on to play in the NFL. As a fan with a full time job, it's nearly impossible for me to determine which under the radar three star might develop better than a high profile four star. And it's hard to imagine anyone would take the recruiting opinion of a portrait artist in rural Alabama very seriously anyway.
    If I had to bet on a game between a team with 15 five star+ 60 four star recruits and a team with 75 three star recruits I'm gonna double my money.

@BigGAdawg said:

@texdawg said:
    I understand the desire to sign the top class. It's been proven that national championship contenders sign more 4 and 5 star players than the other schools do.

But good recruiting also means good scouting. Just because the rating sites rate a kid a 5,4 or 3 star doesn't mean it's true.

Typically the 5 star players that UGA has signed the past few years have turned out to be good players. But there are almost as many misses as there are hits with the 4 stars that were signed.

And I'm sure grateful that we have these 3 star players right now : Kindley, Marshall, McGee, Sanders and Herrien. And I'm especially grateful to have our little ole 2 star player
    J R Reed.

There has been a lot of talk that hopefully CKS slow plays a Wildgoose,
    Becton or Brule.

If CKS likes them enough that he gave them committable offers then there is a good chance these kids are pretty good football players. If it means we don't get to our 305 pts in 247 - that's OK.

As a high school coach, slow playing a recruit so he hopefully decommits is bad business. And it won't go very well next time a college coach wants to recruit in that high school.

Hopefully CKS honors the kids who have already committed to the G.

As nice as it is to have all those 4* and 5* players, and generally those stars and rankings are a good indicator of what you are getting. However, Marshall was the top priority target over Gurley. David Pollack was a lowly 3* fullback before winning every defensive award available. And we have to remember the high value recruits who went bust one way or another: Isaiah Crowell, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Ty Flournoy-Smith, Nick Marshall, Chris Sanders, Zach Mettenberger, etc. Some of these recovered their careers and even made it to the pros but were a big disappointment for UGA.

Why do we always focus on the exceptions. Yes there are a few 3* players that we all are grateful to have but let's not downplay the contributions of the 4 and 5* players. These include Chubb, Michel, Swift, Fromm, Wynn, Baker, Galliard, Thomas, Wims, Blazevich, Godwin, Hardman, Ridley and Nauta. That's 14 starters/key contributors on offense. On defense we can't overlook the contributions of Thompson, Ledbetter, Rochester, Clark, Zo Carter, Bellamy, Walker, Grant, R Carter, Smith, Patrick and Rice. That's 12 in the front 7 main rotation and there are others in the mix such as M Carter and Herring. The weakest position group is the secondary where the only 4* on the roster excluding the Freshmen is Parrish. That is not coincidental!

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I stand by my post that @BigGAdawg reposted.

But @Denmen185 is right about the risk involved in taking too many 3 stars. The more 4&5 you get, the better the chance you get a number of recruits who can play.

And recruiting has changed significantly over the past 10-15 years so it is difficult to compare how players like Pollack were rated.

Because of the rise of all these camps
    (ex. The openings, etc.), the rise of elite 7vs7 during the summer and Hudl - the recruiting services have become significantly more accurate.
    Not perfect - but much better.

I'll defer to the pros on this one, but am of the mind that the more 4 and 5 stars the better. Although I'm sucker for the overlooked 3 star that makes an impact (i.e. Dom sanders, tyrique mcghee, and David Marshall)

@texdawg said:
    I stand by my post that @BigGAdawg reposted.

But @Denmen185 is right about the risk involved in taking too many 3 stars. The more 4&5 you get, the better the chance you get a number of recruits who can play.

And recruiting has changed significantly over the past 10-15 years so it is difficult to compare how players like Pollack were rated.

Because of the rise of all these camps
    (ex. The openings, etc.), the rise of elite 7vs7 during the summer and Hudl - the recruiting services have become significantly more accurate.
    Not perfect - but much better.

The growth of social media also allows the "experts" to see more recruits outside of camps than ever before. Ratings are therefore becoming more knowledge based than ever before. Or, the more sophisticated the "radar" becomes the less likely someone flies under it.

@tiger_62082 said:
    Another name to keep an eye on is Mario Goodrich out of Missouri. He’s currently committed to Nebraska but could open things up. Georgia is recruiting him as a cornerback.

Saw some kid from img decomitted from Nebraska today too. Name is escaping me at the moment but Zeus and James were tweeting at him

@Kasey said:

@tiger_62082 said:
    Another name to keep an eye on is Mario Goodrich out of Missouri. He’s currently committed to Nebraska but could open things up. Georgia is recruiting him as a cornerback.

Saw some kid from img decomitted from Nebraska today too. Name is escaping me at the moment but Zeus and James were tweeting at him

Brendan Radley-Hiles CB but seems like he will flip to Oklahoma

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To short, Kirby let that ship sail a long time ago

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    To short, Kirby let that ship sail a long time ago

Which is interesting because we're recruiting some smaller DBs in 2019, all of which are highly rated: https://georgia.247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/Targets

And we would have taken Jamayest in a heartbeat last year - all 5'9" of him.

This discussion has been closed.