Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• Options
    Colonels17Colonels17 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭ Junior

Though I believe the QB competition should be completely open if Fromm returns, Fromm played better the previous 2 years when he had someone at practice pushing him to take his spot. Hopefully Beck can be that and maybe even Stroud, though he’s probably going to tOSU

• Options
    Colonels17Colonels17 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree Fromm is Fromm. He has always missed the occasional open receiver down the field, though it seems to have happened much more often this year.

He also didn’t seem to have the same fire he did last year particularly down the stretch. After the LSU game, he showed up in big games last year. He didn’t do that this year with the exception of the UF game.

I just wonder if having Fields bearing down his neck resulted in him upping his game. My college coaches always talked about the importance of competition at each position group in practice and we know CKS does as well. QB was the one position this year that lacked that competition.

I’m just looking for additional explanations for his drop in play as I don’t believe it is all on lack of weapons

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate this argument. The person you should be competing with is the standard of play you should be at. The implication of this is saying fromm got complacent this year because nobody could take his job.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

he's only 30 carries off Chubbs pace in 2017 in terms of total carries. And Chubb will have had an extra game to boot. Already has 37 more carries then Sony did that entire year. So Swift carried his load. He couldn't sustain in the long run but I would argue it wasn't the usage as much as it was the way Coley used him. Swift can handle the number of touches, just not between the tackles over 13 games.

We didn't have a championship caliber #2 RB this year.

• Options
    tcdawg94tcdawg94 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

I wasn't arguing over the number of touches he can carry the ball. It was how many and stay healthy. It's great he's gotten touches that are close to several others, but he's not healthy as a result. So, if I'm a team and I want to draft a 20 carry back, I don't draft him because he won't hold up. If I'm a team that only needs a 12 to 15 carry back as a part of a committee, then I do draft him and I draft him high because he's a game changer even with less carries. If he can't run up the middle as the primary back...my point remains.

I'm not knocking the kid. I'd love to have him stay for 20 years, but he was hurt last year and this year. Tua is getting the same stuff said about him. I think its fair because its a reality. I'm with you on not running him up the middle, but that means you become somewhat predictable when he's in the game.

Chubb only averaged 15 carries a game in 2017, so Swift being close and also being hurt really doesn't make sense as a counter to my point. I'm also not trying to call you out. Just debating. I know the focus of your post was how the carries played out. But if you are going to do that, then you can't compare Chubb because he was used up the middle a ton.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I gotcha. Yeah I actually really enjoyed seeing Swift play the Cook role tonight and wish he could've been incorporated that way more often this season.

• Options

Squill, you are correct. However, with no real news and no commits in months, the conversation is allowed to meander especially after a huge game.

I think we close strong...but I also believe we are already looking ahead to 2021 class as filling what we miss on this year. e.g. LB and RB

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I'm saying there are other threads to meander in. That's all.

I hope we close strong, but this seems to be one of the more difficult classes to predict in awhile, so just hoping for the best. I so so want TJ though. Gimme TJ and Ringo and rest can be whoever and I'd be more than satisfied.

• Options

I want TJ more than DW...but I think I'm likely to be disappointed.

• Options
    sarceansarcean Posts: 192 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wonder how the uncertainty of our offensive coordinator next season will play into how this class finishes. If Kirby is going go do a change I hope he does it well before any bowl game.

• Options
    papadoc19papadoc19 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When it comes to flipping your offensive skill positions (WRs/TEs), I think your offensive philosophy and scheme (along with whom is under center) comes into play. Do I want Smith and Burton? Yes...but when looking at it from their perspective, while spots on the field are available earlier here, places like Bama, LSU, even Florida actually have tape on them emphasizing their pass game and making use of their receivers. The same is true with DW and TJ...Hartley could be the best recruiter in the country but at some point you have to be able to sell them on something more than words.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

There are 18 threads going about our season and Fromm, coaching, RB'S etc. Take it there please. Keep just one thread on topic like this one....

• Options
    WDawg30004WDawg30004 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When does Theo commit again ?

• Options
    dawgfan1873dawgfan1873 Posts: 49 ✭✭ Sophomore

If the staff pulls off a te the caliber of tj or dw and some top flight wrs after this years offense this will be their best recruiting job yet. They are selling trust and promises with no proven results.

This discussion has been closed.