Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Cutting the cord

Comments

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So aside from the best streaming services/packages/and equipment needed...

how much does it actually save making the switch away from cable when you still have to pay for internet?

I live in athens and charter and AT&T are my only options on my street and they cost basically the same and both claim faster internet which we all know both are lying about the speeds.

currently using charter because att wasn’t an option when I moved into the house and switching is pointless.

(sorry for all the context)

Point being they bundle everything so internet and tv together is cheaper than cutting cable and just paying for internet...

would I actually save anything paying 70/80 ish or whatever it is a month for internet but then also having to pay subscriptions for these streaming accounts? Or will it ultimately end up a negligible difference?

so far what I’ve gathered is the primary benefits are DVR stuff and honestly I don’t ever DVR and prob won’t. Everything can be found if you want to watch something you missed so I’ve never cared about recording games/shows.

im a frugal person...if y’all could break it down for me that would be greatly appreciated!

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Roughly $120-140 last time I looked it up when budgeting (auto billing is set up).

@Muffingod just logged in... and holy chit, they must have raised prices recently without me noticing... $174/month

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

If you tell them you’re gonna switch companies they will probably knock it back down for you.

Honestly you have to decide what is important to you. I cancelled Netflix a few months back and haven’t really missed it. Other apps I borrow from others. I sign up for sling during football season and then cancel if after. You might wanna get a digital antenna to watch local stuff (and uga games on cbs)

• MackDawgMackDawg Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

For maximum frugality you can get CFB games for free off sportsurge (gewgle it). Specifically Grandma streams on sportsurge for HD quality. Best free stream there is AFAIK. Mild hassle involved in protecting yourself from adware/malware popups, but that really shouldn't be an issue if your browser has adware/malware/general virus protection that's worth a dayum.

Anything else you wanna watch can be found elsewhere on the interwebs if you look hard enough.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RedDawg I agree with Kasey, but if they won’t reduce it then see what they offer on internet only and then add 50 bucks to that as that’s the cost for YouTube or Hulu or Sling. You may find it’s cheaper streaming, plus you can take it on your phone or iPad so if you travel you can still watch recorded shows and movies which is nice

Thanks team!

I’ll look into all these options, since it sounds like it actually might be worth the effort.

Ill come back with numbers once I figure out what I’m deciding on.

@MackDawg like yourself, I’m also one of the younger ish folks in here familiar with the secrets of internet. Hadn’t heard of that particular site for game streaming tho..so a big thank you cap’n! I’ll check it out and see if it supports my needs.

cheers y’all!

• ChrisLoftisChrisLoftis Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

I dumped Dish a year ago and haven't looked back. We have Hulu Live and it has been great. Our smart TV has the Live app now and can be controlled with the TV remote. Only downfall is the price is going up from $44.95 to $54.95 but still with all the channels we watch and a ton of sports channels you cant beat it. Biggest plus for me is all the locals are in the package so there is no need to add a HD antenna.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have been using VUE for 2 years but it is coming to the end. We will now use YouTube TV which is a lot like HULU live but has unlimited DVR in the base package of like $49. Also you can do 3 streams at once compared to 2 in the HULU base package. Just seems like you have to pay extra in HULU to get the same features YouTube TV has in the base package.

• LazendaddyLazendaddy Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

PsVue, Sling, etc all PALE in comparison to the price point and capability of YouTubeTv. There’s nothing better out there.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Or is in jail. He once asked if there was leaked video of the women’s locker room scandal from Athens a few years ago when a staffer was filming there

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you ever have trouble finding sports, go to sportsurge.net

i am a student in Athens and we live in an apartment with three TVs and no cable. That was how we would watch red zone and other games all year.

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

Unlimited DVR and 3 users at once was what ultimately tipped the scales for me going for YouTube TV vs Hulu.

@RedDawg - we also have Charter/Spectrum for phone & data but not for cable. We had DishNetwork America's 250 (watched about 20 of those channels regularly) with 2 dual-band DVR receivers (2 TVs working off 2 receivers) for $130/mo.

YouTube TV is $50/mo. Even with the upfront cost of buying 3 more AppleTV boxes, it'll save ~$500 this year and a little over $1K next year/onward...at least until YouTube raises the subscription rate. Still paying Spectrum for phone/internet so the incremental savings for me was limited to moving from DishNetwork to full streaming.

Reading @Kasey 's post sparked an unfortunate theory.

There was a big diverse pedo ring bust in GA around the time lavender disappeared, judging by the date on his profile(May 24th). Would explain why he was busy. Pepperidge farm members this event starkly cuz one of those pedos worked in Milledgeville, so I knew of him. Dude seemed normal so it was shocking and disgusting

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

Illuminati don't go to jail unless they fake their deaths like Epstein. Epstein is currently living in Argentina, which is awkward because Adolf Hitler Jr. and his Nazi BFFs are right across the street from Epstein.

It's safe to say lavendar is living in Argentina with Epstein and Hitler Jr. right now.