Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Anthem etiquette....

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watching the AA game. National Anthem is going on. Gotta say something to get it off my chest because so many appear to have no idea how you respect the anthem. Many players are doing it correctly, but enough don't know or don't care that it is troublesome to this retired Marine. Here's what you do:

-Hat off head.

-Right hand over your heart. If you are holding your hat in your right hand, the hat does not go over your heart (which puts your hand over your stomach), the hat will be up around your shoulder. Hand is always over heart. Also, right hand does not cling to your collar (saw lots of players doing this). That is just disrespectful...like you cant be bothered. Top tip...hold your hat in your left hand.

-Stand still and face the flag. Do not dance around, sway back and forth, look around the stadium, stare at your feet... Have a little discipline and remain still.

-Military guys (Former and current) have the option to stand at attention (which is what I usually do unless in uniform) or salute (it is appropriate for military guys to salute out of uniform, and required when in uniform).

Off my soap box. Thanks.

Comments

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Etiquette isnt law... 🤷🏾‍♂️

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Current Texas A&M Basketball Coach brought in Veterans when he explained to his Virginia Tech team how they would be respectful during the Anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qz58jMhDDA

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wasnt going against your stance just bringing what I've noticed from the changing of times. Yes America is great to live in but I think the youth are able to be more vocal about politics. But I also think these guys are in a different element mentally prior to games. I used to sway and look at the ground or sway and stare at the person I'd stick etc.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Awesome! Some of the vets were doing the "hat on heart" thing, but other than that it's a great tutorial.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think part of the problem is over-exposure. Just about any assemblage of Americans will have a National Anthem segment. There are exceptions, I guess - rock concerts?, jazz festivals?, golf tournament?, cello recitals? - but most largest gatherings outdoors have a NA.

And TV: if you're watching at home or a pub, there is the "am I really supposed to do something here?" decision. How many do?

I think the NA is over-done. Likely a Cold War thing, but the NA has been a thing for a long time. But with TV, it becomes something that is mostly ignored by one group - those at home - and scrutinized for those on site.

The NA at private functions probably should be reserved for special events, like a championship, playoff game or a bowl game. I am a veteran and love my country. I do observe the expectations when on site, but it has been a long time that I do so at home.

• QueXQueX Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think if people were taught appropriate etiquette for the National Anthem, you would see them display that type of etiquette without being compelled to do so. It’s mostly ignorance. People aren’t taught what is considered respectful behavior, so they emulate what they see from their favorite players.

I for one, respect our flag, country, and military and was never taught this. I honestly just did what Michael Jordan did during the anthem when I was a high school player.

Thanks for sharing! In the future, I will act accordingly.

• SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

I can't believe this is even a debate (present company excluded) & it's the reason I stopped watching the NFL for a couple years. In my day you respected the flag, national anthem & the men who fought to protect our taken for granted freedoms or you were pummeled. Period.

• bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is America, feel free to do whatever you want. Sure, some people may not like it, but its your right to stand on your head during the anthem if you want. #merica

Why do certain athletes feel the need to use sports, which should be an escape, to make some kind of misguided statement?

• muttley1211muttley1211 Posts: 229 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Probably because that is their platform..

They have plenty of off time to share their infinite wisdom.....to make a spectacle during the national anthem is pure stank

• reheckmanreheckman Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like this post. He doesn't bash the kids but instead explains the proper etiquette. Do the kids have to do this ... No, but most of these kids are very respectful and just need a little teaching. Great post.

• muttley1211muttley1211 Posts: 229 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

Spectacle = quiet kneeling? It’s not like they pulled out a flag and lit it on fire.

You have your opinion and I have mine, which is fine. We have that right 😀👍️

• reheckmanreheckman Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

You could also spit on the dinner table during family get together. You should try it and say " do whatever you want its merica." This comment shows a lack of education. Yes it is America and you can do what you want but c'mon man. Dont be dumb.

This discussion has been closed.