Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A perfect day in Texas

Comments

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where in Colorado. I don't recognize the name of that ski run. Family had a house in Steamboat for years.

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg —— “ I gawd Woodrow ... it’s been a hellava party ain’t it “ Cap Augustas McCrae .....

“ You ride with outlaws - you die with outlaws ..... This time you crossed the line “

Gus to his friend Jake Spoon before he hanged him

Best Book and Best Thing ever put on film .... Lonesome Dove

my buddies and I , all fans repeat the lines to each other all the time

My favorite movie and by far my favorite movie character.....Gus McCrae.

Knew I liked you for some reason Skid.

• DawgatronDawgatron Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

@texdawg

Be on the lookout for Javier Bardem. If you see him, run!

Do not try to pull a Brolin.

P.S. Salt Lick is the best BBQ (brisket) in my book.

P.P.S. Yes I think Pork Butt/Ribs and Brisket deserve their own categories.

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgatron It might drop a pin on my 10-20 .... but near my house ( GA) we have a country store and meat market named Salt Lick .... they fly a TX flag outside along with the US ....the family a generation back is from TX ... I think they were influenced by the original Salt Lick in Texas ...

PS .... since TX joined the Union as an independent republic ... they were granted several exclusive conditions .... one being that the TX Lone Star State flag can be flown alongside and at the same height as the US Flag .... all other states must fly their state flags lower then the US when presented together .... todays history lesson .... be learned dawg fans .....

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Weapon of choice today, tex? Always like to know what folks are toting into the woods (or the prairie, etc...).

FYI I have backstraps thawing at home. A simple marinade of a little olive oil, worcheshire, brown mustard, garlic, salt & pepper should do the trick for about 5-6 minutes on the grill...

• SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've used the 25-06 with 115 grain bullet for years. Not a very common caliber....but I like it.

I bought my son a 270 last year.....and I like it.

Before my 25-06 I used a 243.

From my experience......the most common rifles used in Texas......amongst the guys I've hunted with through the years are the 30-06, 7mm mag, 270 and 243. Really the 243 is more than enough for Texas white tail. Probably not as effective for Texas mule deer.

Most shots in Texas are about 100 yds. Properly placed blinds are usually about 100 yds from feeders. But it's not uncommon to have a 300 plus yd shot in Texas.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod
    edited February 2020

And you wonder why the best s.niper in the world was from Texas.

Amen brotha.

But I bet we have a few good shots on Dawgnation. A bunch of current and former military on here....and I believe a few special forces.

I shoot a lot with a navy seal buddy of mine. I'm a pretty accurate shot with a pistol.....but no where close to his league.

I would not recommend breaking into his house at night.

From 100-250 yds......I'm pretty darn close to being as good as he is.....I'll go ahead and say it.....I'm just as good.

But 250 yds plus..... it's crazy how much better he is than I am.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How close is this to where LBJ grew up? Feel like I know a lot about the place without being there thanks to Robert Caro. He wrote about LBJ’s grandparents, their hard life and experience with the Comanches. Great great author

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not part of PETA, but you hit the nail on the head in describing them. Without apex predators in the ecosystem, which we killed off, the deer population has exploded and hunting is a must to keep the deer population stable. I believe hunting your own meat is more environmental than buying it in the grocery store.

So LBJ is from the Marble falls area. Kinda between Marble falls and Fredericksburg, TX. A well known German town in the Texas Hill country.

Fredericksburg is the boyhood home of Admiral Nimitz.

I have no idea if Admiral Nimitz and President Johnson were friends.... they may have grown up playing jacks and marbles outside the local soda fountain.

Marble Falls is about 150 miles south....and a little east of where I'm hunting. Not very far......and definitely comanche country.

The topography in Marble falls is completely different from where I am. Abilene is flat with the occasional ridges.

Marble falls area.....where LBJ is from.....is the Texas hill country. The spectacular Texas hill country.