Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A perfect day in Texas

123457»

Comments

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

Almost started a hunting thread recently. I only started bow hunting three years ago, and haven’t picked up a rifle since but I enjoy shooting. Upland hunting has been a passion of mine for years, and that hobby led to collecting Vintage american made sxs shotguns. I love to imagine their previous owners as I carry them in the field.

Here’s a pic of a wood duck shoot from two weekends ago. Let’s see if we have any shorgun aficionados here. Who can tell me the make and grade of the shotgun in the photo? It is a 10ga manufactured in 1898 with damascus barrels. 2-7/8 #6 shot. At 11 lbs, the gun shoots about like a 16 ga. Only took her out of the safe because I believe every gun deserves a day in the field.

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker .... 👆I’m going to.go with a beauty by Uncle Dan Lafever

Andy maybe an E grade ?

edited February 2020

Not a Lefever but that’s a reasonable guess for a sidelock. Good Lefevers are really hard to find and I’ve yet to add one to my collection. I also don’t own a quality Baker, so that should open up the answer a little on American made options. .

Since you are a connoisseur of fine American double ...a book a recommend but you might already have is ...

Best Guns ... by Michael McIntosh

LC Smith maybe the only other American made side lock ....?

seems Fox , Parker , Win 21 ...all box locks

I have a Parker DHE 28g .... I will post sometime when I have a photo handy and appropriate.... I use to on the phony quail hunts down here ... it’s a killer , I have made some very long shots with it ... 3/4 oz loads

on wild birds out west (KS , OK) .... no holds bared .... Browning Auto 5 sweet sixteen ! 1964 model

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker I couldn't even begin to guess....but that is a beautiful gun........and those ducks are beautiful.

I'm a Beretta guy.....great shotguns but certainly not unique.

I use a 12ga semiautomatic for dove hunting and 20ga onyx over/under for quail. Although I use the 12ga for blue quail......blue quail are tough with a 20ga.

What a great thing to collect.

And I agree......if you own the gun.....and it's in good working order.......it needs to occasionally be used.

edited February 2020

Whoa, Nellie! A DHE 28ga??? That’s one of the crown jewels. There were only 198 DH grade 28ga guns produced, mostly with titanic steel barrels, and only 11 with damascus barrels. Do you own a copy of The Parker Story?

The above is an LC Smith Grade 3 10ga. One of 51 ever produced. While more rare than your DHE 28ga, its monetary value is only about a quarter of yours. As you are no doubt aware, a Parker 28ga is HIGHLY sought after by collectors. What a gem!

The Parker is a family heirloom...a great uncle that played Baseball for Brooklyn one of the first to throw knuckle ball early 20th cent ..it was his and passed down and my father was the last to hunt with it .. I don’t shoot it ...I shoot a reproduction.... both are 28 DHE

and I do have the Parker Story ... thanks

Yes. Thank you.

I'm a dumb a.s.s

I first saw REK live in 1989 and have been a big fan ever since. Have heard that song 1000's of times. Shouldn't have said Mario

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is coincidental that I even knew what you were talking about! I don't follow REK closely, but I definitely know who he is. I think he was roommates with Lyle Lovett at A&M.... or something like that.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

Interesting bit of trivia connecting Texas to Georgia, hunting and football, fitting for this thread.

At one point in my life I did legal work for some wealthy families, and I had occasion to deal with the Smith family (who owned the Falcons before Arthur Blank). Through that involvement I came to learn that Rankin Smith, Sr. bought his South Ga. hunting property from Clint Murchison, Jr., the former Dallas Cowboys owner.

That, among other experiences, made me realize what a small world it is, especially the more rarified air you breathe.